Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Are you a Project Management professional with an agile mindset? If so, we want you to apply as a Program Manager at Toptal!
As a Toptal Program Manager you’ll drive the execution of Toptal’s strategic initiatives in a high quality and efficient manner. Toptalers in this role are handling programs with varying technical, commercial, financial, product, and legal consequences. This role takes a holistic perspective about how all the moving parts should tie together and systemizes it into a functioning program.
Program Management is a relatively new discipline for Toptal, and as the company has grown and our programs expand across many teams and departments, this role has become critical in order to execute against our highest priority initiatives successfully. Unlike traditional Program Manager roles, due to Toptal’s agile nature, this role will not work with dedicated teams. You will collaborate with Product Managers, Engineering Managers, and leaders of other functions to ensure that necessary outputs and achievements are worked into their plans. You’ll have start-to-end oversight and manage agreed changes from its inception to its end while keeping all players coordinated on progress and deadlines. This manager will maintain proactive communication with partners at multiple levels, including those external to the organization.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
The PM’s ultimate responsibility is to apply project management knowledge, skills, tools, and techniques to ensure the program generates anticipated outcomes, engaged teams are happy, and business partners are satisfied.
- Lead through influencing – build consensus across complex multi-functional teams to drive desired business outcomes.
- Work with others to assess and then decide what methodology (or a mix of methodologies), organizational structure, governance, capabilities, and resources are best to reach the program goal.
- Prepare and maintain a minimum required program documentation to drive clarity, alignment on what needs to be done, why, and what teams do what and when.
- Identify and surface any bottlenecks and impediments that slow the program’s momentum.
- Communicate the program’s health, risks, issues, progress, achievements, and failures both up and across functions and levels to ensure transparency and alignment.
- Facilitate program schedule and release planning: unpack a broad, multi-functional initiative into specific workstreams, identify and address dependencies, help teams define scope, work you’re doing, and schedules, and coordinate release planning across multiple teams for multiple business partners.
- Make sure the program meets agreed quality standards.
- Report program metrics by constantly updating related tools.
- Negotiate scope and manage trade-offs for delivery and cost/benefit process improvement decisions.
- Identify key cross-team decisions and facilitate discussions that work towards consent.
- Facilitate decision making around changes to project scope, timeline, quality, and cost. Make sure the consequences are understood, and changes are visible.
- Help with ensuring the appropriate people are involved at each stage of the development of our product.
- Understand and communicate complex engineering issues and ensure they are on a path for resolution.
- Enable continuous improvement, ensuring findings are captured, shared, and integrated.
- Grow a healthy, collaborative, continuously improving Program Management culture.
- Advocate for modern project management, and teach/mentor less experienced Toptalers in concepts, values, principles, and practices.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Get familiar with our product portfolio and team structure.
- Learn about Program Management Office vision, mission, framework, and 2020 OKRs.
- Become familiar with Toptal’s Product Development Process.
In the first month, expect to:
- Take the lead of one of our engineering strategic initiatives.
- Start contributing to the implementation of the Program Management Framework.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Gain the trust of business partners.
- Manage more than one program at a time.
- Begin evangelizing Toptal’s Program Management Framework.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Share knowledge and experience with colleagues and help to foster a mature PM culture across other organizations within the business.
- Help to staff PMO team by helping to hire other great program managers.
In the first year, expect to:
- Become a role model for less experienced colleagues.
- Be a true do-er able to deal with agile at scale challenges and loads of ambiguity.
- Have a sufficient amount of professional project management experience (5+ years) preferably in the software engineering area.
- Be excellent in shareholder management.
- Be a great public speaker and facilitator.
- Be open and informal when necessary.
- Be an IT person with an eye for business results.
- Be comfortable around higher-level executives and senior leadership, reporting programs to them.
- Be very good at managing risk.
- Have advanced experience in Scrum.
- Have proper experience in scaled Agile frameworks LeSS and SoS, basic knowledge of SAFe.
- Understand Product Management Lifecycle as well as how it relates to other disciplines.
- Have practical experience in the pre-initiation phase of the project (e.g. build a business case, conduct a feasibility study).
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.