As a Program Manager you will be responsible for driving the execution of Toptal’s strategic initiatives in a high quality and cost-effective manner. Toptalers in this role are handling programs with varying technical, commercial, financial, product, and legal consequences. This role takes a holistic perspective about how all the moving parts should tie together and systemizes it into a functioning program.
Program Management is a relatively new discipline for Toptal, but as the company has grown and our programs expand across many teams and departments, this role has become critical in order to execute against our highest priority initiatives successfully.
Unlike traditional Program Manager roles, due to Toptal’s Agile nature, you will not work with dedicated teams. You will collaborate with Product Managers, Engineering Managers, and leaders of other functions to ensure that necessary deliverables are worked into their plans. You’ll have end-to-end oversight and manage agreed changes from its inception to its end while keeping all players coordinated on progress and deadlines. You will maintain proactive communication with stakeholders at multiple levels, including those external to the organization, if program specifics require so.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere globally. All communication and resumes must be submitted in English.
Your ultimate responsibility is to apply project management knowledge, skills, tools, and techniques to ensure the program generates anticipated outcomes, engaged teams are happy, and stakeholders are satisfied.
- Lead through influencing – build consensus across complex cross-functional teams to drive desired business outcomes.
- Work with others to assess and then decide what project management methodology (or a mix of methodologies), organizational structure, governance, capabilities, and resources are best to reach the program goal.
- Prepare and maintain a minimum required program documentation to drive clarity, alignment on what needs to be done, why, and what teams do what and when.
- Identify and surface any bottlenecks and impediments that slow the program’s momentum.
- Communicate program’s health, risks, issues, progress, achievements, and failures both up and across functions and levels to ensure transparency and alignment.
- Facilitate program schedule and release planning: unpack a broad, cross-functional initiative into specific workstreams, identify and address dependencies, help teams define scope, deliverables, and schedules, and coordinate release planning across multiple teams for multiple stakeholders.
- Make sure program meets agreed quality standards.
- Report program metrics by constantly updating project management tools.
- Negotiate scope and manage trade-offs for delivery and cost/benefit process improvement decisions.
- Identify key cross-team decisions and facilitate discussions that drive to consent.
- Facilitate decision making around changes to project scope, timeline, quality, and cost. Make sure the consequences are understood, and changes are visible.
- Help with ensuring the appropriate people are involved at each stage of the product development process.
- Understand and communicate complex engineering issues and ensure they are on a path for resolution.
- Enable continuous improvement, ensuring learnings are captured, shared, and integrated.
- Grow a healthy, collaborative, continuously improving project management culture.
- Advocate for modern project management, and teach/mentor less experienced Toptalers in concepts, values, principles, and practices.
In the first week you will:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Get familiar with our product portfolio and team structure.
- Learn about Program Management Office vision, mission, and 2020 OKRs.
- Learn about Program Management Framework.
- Become familiar with Toptal’s Product Development Process.
In the first month you will:
- Take the lead of one of our engineering strategic initiatives.
- Start your contribution to the implementation of the Program Management Framework.
In the first three months you will:
- Gain stakeholders’ trust.
- Most likely manage more than one program at a time.
- Begin evangelizing Toptal’s Program Management Framework.
In the first six months you will:
- Share your knowledge and experience with your colleagues and help to foster mature project management culture across engineering and product management.
- Help to staff PMO team by helping to hire other great program managers.
In the first year you will:
- Become a role model for less experienced colleagues.
We expect you to:
- Be a true do-er able to deal with agile at scale challenges and loads of ambiguity.
- Have a sufficient amount of professional project management experience (5+ years) preferably in the software engineering area.
- Be excellent in stakeholder management.
- Be great public speaker and facilitator.
- Be comfortable around higher management, reporting programs to senior leadership, VP and C-suite.
- Be very good at risk management.
- Have advanced experience in Scrum.
- Have proper experience in scaled Agile frameworks LeSS and SoS, basic knowledge of SAFe.
- Understand Product Management Lifecycle as well as how it relates to other disciplines.
- Have practical experience in the pre-initiation phase of the project (e.g. create a business case, conduct a feasibility study).
- Be advanced in English.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
You have to be comfortable with describing yourself as
- Project management professional with Agile mindset.
- IT person with business acumen.
- Open and informal.