Account Operations Manager
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Account Operations Managers work with Enterprise Clients and their supporting account teams to run the daily operational processes that underpin client success. You will work directly with Client stakeholders to nurture relationships and fulfill their operational needs by coordinating Toptal groups (e.g., talent ops, legal, finance). The most successful Account Operations Managers accomplish this while keeping an eye toward new opportunities for Toptal to help solve our clients’ most challenging problems.
The ideal candidate has outstanding discipline, is highly passionate, and eager to learn, grow, and develop. This person thrives in a fast-paced environment and strives to go above and beyond. This role is perfect for someone who is passionate about providing exceptional client service and looking to use this opportunity as a launching pad for their career at Toptal.
This is a remote position. However, we require applicants to reside in-market. We are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
Account Operations Manager responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Collaboration with Team Members: You will work collaboratively with our Sales, Talent Operations, Finance, and Legal teams to efficiently anticipate and fulfill client needs. Communicating via Zoom and Slack is critical to maintaining a high-level of collaboration and clear communication within the team.
Client Relationships: Clients are at the heart of everything we do. You will be building rapport with current and prospective clients to understand their service needs and preferences and bring the best of Toptal to exceed their expectations. You will work closely with our account leadership team (e.g., CP) to execute a strategy to establish mutually-beneficial, long-term relationships that position Toptal as a trusted talent partner.
Talent Management Support:
- Manage client-specific talent onboarding and offboarding processes. Activities may include working with Managed Service Providers (MSPs) while maintaining an exceptional client and talent experience.
- Check in regularly with talent to maintain strong engagement and satisfaction on projects.
Client Support - Talent and Billing:
- Support clients with day to day inquiries related to the account, talent, and billing.
- Create and manage processes related to Talent engagement time reporting, revenue, and margins and track against client budget.
- Partner with the Client Partner to ensure compliance with contractual obligations including talent background checks and sourcing locations.
- Support sales activities requiring basic legal operations including creation of TOPs, SOWs, and Change Requests.
- Identify additional Toptal business opportunities and communicate these to the Client Partner.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Effectively and independently handle communication clients, Toptal and our talents and drive growth.
- Manage talent’s onboarding/offboarding within each account while satisfying client specific processes.
- Understand and represent the voice of the Talent and support on their journey within the account.
- Create and manage processes related to Talent engagement hours, revenue and margins.
- Manage client related administrative tasks and provide assistance for legal and compliance purposes.
- Establish a working cadence with key clients, business partners, and internal Toptal Core team members on these accounts.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Build upon existing client relationships and support expansion of Toptal’s partnership with existing accounts.
- Establish a strong history of supporting increased business across the portfolio of accounts.
In the first year, expect to:
- Have built an incredible client account portfolio in partnership with the Client Partner, with a shown history of successful delivery, satisfied clients, and happy team members.
- Begin to mentor new members of the team, helping them learn about Toptal, our model and how account management best practices can improve relationships and increase revenue.
- Experienced. 1-5 years of experience in account management and relationship-building with a track record of success.
- Critical thinking. The capability to critically think through the challenges clients face and business challenges. Apply this understanding to build opportunities to develop those accounts.
- Client-Centric & Satisfaction. Be driven to build strong relationships and be committed to the client’s success and satisfaction. This extends to the talent we provide, the experience we offer, and the outcomes we deliver.
- Resourceful. Think about a portfolio as a business - we want self-starters who are passionate about building this portfolio of accounts, and who thrive with the freedom and accountability of leading their portion of the business.
- Collaborative. Nothing we do is done in isolation. Success at Toptal is determined by being able to work as a team both within Toptal and within client accounts.
- Proactive. A self-starter that will exhibit ownership of accounts, successes, and failures. While also understanding our mission and doing the work required to drive us to that goal, without being told. Not reactive, but anticipates roadblocks, and thinks several steps ahead of a problem.
- Problem Solver. We are a distributed company so life throws in minor challenges beyond the primary problems this person is meant to tackle. We are looking for someone who can take those in stride and persist despite setbacks.
- Prioritization. Understand the priorities and timelines associated with each client, and to execute appropriately with those in mind. Be able to juggle shifting and changing priorities.
- Data & Numbers Oriented. Ability to use excel functions, leverage data and prepare information in a useful way for the Client Partner and account team.
- You don’t take yourself too seriously; you have a sense of humor and are comfortable with sarcasm. This position does work as part of our Sales teams, after all.