Toptal is one of the most innovative and rapidly expanding tech start-ups from Silicon Valley. With backing from investors such as Andreessen Horowitz and Adam D’Angelo, our platform is the fastest growing labor marketplace in the history of the Internet—connecting thousands of elite engineers all over the world. In the last five years, Toptal has become the #1 choice for tech companies requiring top-tier engineering and design talent and for the top 3% of freelancers looking for their next challenge.
While we’re primarily focused on bringing quality and value to our clients, we’re also committed to creating a world-class environment for our employees. We are a completely distributed company with thousands of core and network team members located all over the world, and we take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We take an all-hands-on-deck approach to our work, taking pride in being collaborative, creative, and flexible.
If you aren’t looking for a job because you’re already killing it, we want you.
You will be responsible for performing key accounting activities related to the payment and receipt of money, including computing, classifying, reconciling, and recording numerical data in the company’s proprietary data systems. As the Accounts Receivable Lead, you will be expected to exercise independent judgment in the processing and resolution of non-routine accounting matters, including communicating with internal and external clients and rapidly solving problems. You will report to the VP of Finance and will work with Toptal’s finance team to implement product changes that will make our systems even smarter and more efficient.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere within the United States. Proof of eligibility to work in the US will be required.
- Process and post daily incoming receivable transactions, including selecting correct accounts, posting and verifying balances, debits, and credit entries, and reconciling accounts.
- Handle large volumes of payments from a variety of incoming sources rapidly and with an extremely high attention to detail.
- Respond to and complete all internal and external inquiries daily via email, chat messaging, and the internal accounting helpdesk.
- Resolve or establish a resolution plan for all inquiries within one day of receiving them.
- Check accounting transactions to locate and resolve discrepancies.
- Involve key people at the company as appropriate to solve complex or difficult situations quickly and efficiently.
- Provide thought leadership, strategic insight, and clear communication (written and verbal) to the team on strategy, best practices, and ideas for improving the efficiency and performance of our systems.
- Be in constant communication with team members via Skype.
- Familiarity with bookkeeping and basic accounting procedures.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience handling a high daily volume of accounting transaction traffic.
- You must be a self-starter with a lot of initiative and drive, who is capable of exercising sound judgment while working independently with limited oversight.
- Ability to handle high volumes of transactions within small timeframes at an extremely high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Excellent working knowledge of online banking, including best practices for processing incoming wires and ACHs, posting to client accounts, and deciphering the many languages involved with banking and incoming transactions.
- Strong working knowledge of how to handle receiving payments and posting receivables from PayPal.
- An excellent understanding of best practices for receiving, posting, and reconciling credit card transactions from merchant accounts.
- Outstanding ability to detect errors, discrepancies, and concerns quickly and effectively.
- Exceptional knowledge of relevant software applications, spreadsheets, and relational databases.
- Be comfortable working with proprietary software.
- Strong customer service skills and attitude.
- A strong, proven ability to calculate, post, and manage accounting figures.
- You must have excellent negotiation and problem solving skills.
- Ability to thrive and work well with others in a highly demanding, dynamic, and growth-oriented environment.
- You must have excellent verbal and written English communication skills.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
- Due to the sensitive nature of this position, a background check will be performed.
Anywhere in the United States
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- Breanden has been an engineer, founder, CTO, and consultant in industries ranging from aerospace to financial services to high tech. He has a BSE in Chemical Engineering from Princeton University, where he was previously asked to speak at TEDxPrincetonU, giving a talk on time optimization and resource management. As a Toptal co-founder, Breanden frequently writes about scaling a hyper-growth and distributed company, and he has been featured on the blog of Tim Ferriss, The Huffington Post, and many others. Having been on both sides of the hiring equation as an engineer and team lead, Breanden combines his technical expertise and management experience to ensure that clients, developers, and team members at Toptal continually strive for excellence as the company rapidly scales.
- Previously a technical lead at Scuola di Cinema di Roma in Italy, Maurizio has since focused on building world-class customer service teams, training programs, and tools for Fortune 500 companies. He's developed two start-ups, and he has more than 10 years of experience in sales and pre-sales consultancy and software and hardware troubleshooting. At Toptal, Maurizio works with clients and the core team and combines his technical expertise, training experience, and cool head to ensure that everyone is successful.