Associate Editor, Toptal Engineering Blog
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Supporting the editors of the Toptal Engineering Blog, you will help us continue to grow as a world-class English-language publication for top software development experts. Reporting to the Engineering Blog’s Lead Editor, you will be working closely with editors and authors alike to help meet deadlines, craft effective article metadata, and perform article quality control.
You will offer project management, research, and editorial support to keep our editing pipeline rolling by facilitating prioritization, communicating actively with internal and external collaborators, and getting all the details perfect. This includes crafting small amounts of copy yourself, and frictionlessly adding important details to articles written by others.
All aspects of a new article must conform to specific, high standards. Stellar writing abilities, ambition, a collaborative spirit, and drive are requirements for this position.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Run daily standup meetings for editors to help prioritize individual workflows and balance team tasks.
- Ensure editors follow the editorial processes of the Toptal Engineering Blog and wider Toptal Publications team to develop, publish, and distribute content in a timely manner.
- Follow up with editors, authors, copyeditors, editorial assistants, illustrators, expert reviewers, beta testers, social media team, and lead editor as needed to maintain momentum on every article and ensure all checklist details are completed.
- Document the current status of each article to help maintain visibility to key stakeholders within our toolset and to gather data to help improve internal processes.
- Write and vary metadata accurately by summarizing and highlighting key article features for various social media audiences while conforming to each context’s special requirements.
- Write accessible, accurate, and helpful text to describe images for those who cannot see them.
- Introduce new authors to our processes, answer their questions, and maintain a positive relationship with them throughout their collaboration with the Toptal Engineering Blog.
- Represent Toptal Publications at network welcome events by answering questions and encouraging participation.
In the first week, expect to:
- Learn about Toptal’s Engineering offering and get a sense of the voice of the publication.
- Onboard to the Publications team by meeting with team members and learning about what they do.
- Learn the publishing process and associated tools.
In the first month, expect to:
- Become familiar with what an A+ article looks like, and develop personal habits and processes to ensure that all pieces to be published will achieve this standard.
- Develop and implement a daily standup meeting rhythm.
- Write metadata and image descriptions.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Coordinate with contributors to help maintain pipeline priorities and momentum using a professional and helpful communication style.
- Help the team balance large numbers of simultaneous editing assignments.
- Make regular individual and group Zoom calls with new authors.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Collaborate with peers on the Publications team to contribute ideas for process improvement as needed.
- Attend network welcome events.
- Seek out expert reviewers and beta testers from the network to ensure impeccable article quality on the Toptal Engineering Blog.
In the first year, expect to:
- Work to improve the quality and impact of the publication via partnerships and assets across Toptal (PR, events, community, etc.).
- Continually raise the bar and contribute new ideas for elevating the expertise of Toptal’s network talent.
- Act on feedback to help ensure writers enjoy working with Toptal Publications and are proud of the end result.
- Strict attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, especially in a project management context.
- Ability to work under pressure when needed, keeping priorities balanced and delivering on time without missing any best practices along the way.
- Self-starter who is a “power user” when it comes to using common web-based tools, and more than comfortable learning new ones as needed.
- Demonstrated writing and editing experience, especially some with a focus on software development and related topics. (Samples welcome.)
- Meticulous about implementing and enforcing processes. Strong understanding of workflows.
- Comfort working with HTML, CSS, and kramdown (or Markdown), at least to the extent of understanding why a missing quotation mark can break everything, and being able to spot it and fix it.
- An exceptional eye for quality and a relentless drive to improve anything that falls below your standards or Toptal’s standards.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
- Bonus: Software engineering experience can be helpful in working with the content we produce.