Back-end Engineer at Sourcing Ops
Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Ruby on Rails powers a lot of our infrastructure, and we’re always looking for hardworking Ruby engineers to support us in reaching the next level. By joining our team, you will work on many of our Ruby projects with highly skilled engineers from around the world. At Toptal, we push the boundaries on what’s possible with Ruby every single day, and we’d love for you to be a part of it!
The bulk of the work we do daily is pure back-end development, but occasionally some new UI has to be wired up, so some front-end skills certainly won’t hurt. We don’t cut corners or make compromises—we build beautifully crafted web apps that are polished, fast, well-tested, and a joy to use.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Please submit resumes and communication in English.
- Write elegant, efficient, and testable Ruby code, which is easy to maintain and debug.
- Cover code with tests and perform manual testing of features.
- Review the work of colleagues.
- As an excellent teammate, continuously improve our team’s processes, brainstorm ideas, and communicate status and progress.
- Mentor other people, provide feedback, and continuously improve as a professional.
In the first week, you will:
- Meet your mentors that will guide you during the onboarding month.
- Get acquainted with our tech stack.
- Shadow team members to see the essence of the Toptal business model.
In the first month, you will:
- Develop your first tasks and have them deployed to production.
- Learn about the technology that powers Toptal - services, patterns, and libraries we use and develop.
- Understand our Toptal business.
In the first three months, you will:
- Deliver value in regular cadence.
- Get comfortable with the daily work routine of our team.
- Review code written by your colleagues.
- Actively supply software planning, development, and maintenance.
- Be ready to propose improvements to Toptal’s processes and codebase.
In the first six months, you will:
- Contribute to planning and executing multi-sprint initiatives inside your team.
- Lead technical initiatives on our team.
- Drive improvements to the codebase and processes.
In the first year, you will:
- Have a detailed understanding of Toptal’s technical stack, collaboration rituals, processes, performance, and future work.
- Determine what your career path looks like at Toptal.
- Mentor Toptal’s new team members.
- Exchange 360 feedback with peers in an annual review cycle.
- Have 5+ years of web development experience.
- Have a strong knowledge of object-oriented programming, automated software testing, databases, development, and testing essential methodologies.
- Care about multiple quality dimensions like user impact, failure tolerance, code maintenance, implementation time, security breaches, and performance.
- Have experience developing with a web framework—with Ruby on Rails is a plus.
- Be genuinely interested in technology and love to try new things.
- Seek complex problems but also consider multiple solutions, weigh them in, and decide on the best course of action.
- Grow with providing and receiving transparent but always constructive feedback.
- Special individual contributors will thrive at Toptal. We are not here just to tell other people what to do.