Back-end Engineer at Talent Post-hire team
Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Ruby on Rails powers a lot of our infrastructure, and we’re always looking for skilled Ruby developers with some React experience to help us reach the next level! By joining the Talent Post Hire team, you’ll have the opportunity to work on a variety of meaningful Ruby/React projects with a team of highly skilled authorities from around the world. At Toptal, we push the boundaries on what’s possible every single day, and we’d love for you to be a part of it!
The bulk of the work we do every day is a mix of Back-end and Front-end work in React. If you have strong back-end skills and looking for an opportunity to grow your front-end development skills, this is the right opportunity for you.
We are a product team delivering value to the end-users working closely with the business. You will be working directly on the Talent portal used by thousands of Toptal’s freelancers. You will have the opportunity to develop new features and improve the quality of the existing codebase.
We don’t cut corners, and we don’t make compromises—we build expertly designed web apps that are polished, fast, well-tested, and a joy to use. This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Write elegant, efficient, and testable Ruby and React code which is easy to maintain and debug.
- Cover code with tests and perform manual testing of features, while reviewing the work of colleagues.
- As a true teammate, continuously improve the team’s processes, brainstorm ideas, and communicate statuses, and progress.
- Mentor other people, provide feedback and grow as a part of the team.
In the first week, expect to:
- Join our Bootcamp team, where you will be introduced to Toptal’s practices and processes
- Start participating in company-wide training sessions.
- Setup your local environment, get familiar with our tech stack
- Build your first pull request.
In the first month, expect to:
- When ready, transition from the Bootcamp team to your new team and familiarize yourself with this team’s domain.
- Contribute to our product development.
- Develop a deeper understanding of our technology, processes, and product pipeline.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Actively supply software planning, development, and maintenance.
- Be ready to propose and implement improvements to Toptal’s processes and codebase.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Lead technical initiatives on our team.
- Drive improvements to the codebase and processes.
In the first year, expect to:
- Have a detailed understanding of Toptal’s technical stack, collaboration rituals, processes, performance, and future work.
- Determine what your career path looks like at Toptal.
- Mentor Toptal’s new team members.
- Have 5+ years of web development experience.
- Have a confirmed grasp of object-oriented programming, clean code, and best testing practices.
- Consider multiple quality dimensions like user impact, failure tolerance, code maintenance, implementation time, security breaches, and performance.
- Have experience developing with a web framework—with Ruby on Rails is a plus.
- Knowledge of GraphQL
- Be genuinely interested in technology and love to try new things.
- Tackle complex problems but also consider multiple solutions, weigh them, and decide on the best course of action.
- Thrive on providing and receiving transparent but always constructive feedback.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. Our team members are not here just to tell other people what to do.