Ruby on Rails Mentor
Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
The Bootcamp team is responsible for onboarding newcomers who join the Engineering Core team. Hundreds of engineers started their Toptal experience with the Bootcamp team. We’re growing fast, so we can expand the Engineering team across the globe faster.
Mentors are supporting newcomers’ onboarding for 30+engineering teams, proactively exploring the needs of levelling up every new Team Member and help them to ramp up where needed.
The candidate should love pair programming and working closely with people! Be proficient in the Ruby language and able to guide other Back End developers in the Ruby On Rails ecosystem. We have several internal frameworks and public frameworks and the mentor will need to learn them all to support other newcomers onboarding in the same domain.
Mentors get their hands dirty and showcase the company’s workflow and explain business cases, including how our operations work. We fully support their first steps communicating and contributing as we also push our own initiatives when we have less workload from the newcomers.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- You will design and maintain the onboarding plan for Ruby developers. You will facilitate learning sessions, review or rewrite our onboarding guides, push forward every onboarding-related topic on your way.
- You will review newcomers’ work and streamline company expectations regarding quality, communication, and remote-driven environment.
- You will get to know newcomers and their learning styles, and goals, which can set you up to offer richer, more relevant advice over time.
- You will focus on helping newcomers on demand, diving into specific skills, working toward specific goals, and basic organization practices for how to get things done.
In the first week, expect to:
- Learn about the onboarding process and self board in the company.
- Compose your onboarding plan.
- Understand the development process and policies in the engineering department.
- Pair and walk through our codebase safely with other mentors.
In the first month, expect to:
- Onboard yourself and know how to use our main frameworks and tools.
- Deploy code to production and understand the deployment pipeline.
- Expand your network knowing who is who and who can help with what.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Help newcomers to onboard and walkthrough the codebase with other back end developers that are onboarding.
- Help to review other newcomers’ work.
- Expand the newcomers’ network, connecting them to the relevant guilds and teams.
- Triage tickets for newcomers backlog.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Coordinate newcomers backlog and support new initiatives together with the Bootcamp team.
- Guide newcomers in learning different aspects of our platform.
- Improve the scripts for the environment set up together with the newcomers to make it friendly and smooth.
In the first year, expect to:
- Lead technical initiatives across multiple teams.
- Develop newcomers company vision’ and culture, proactively introducing them into initiatives.
- Nurture an outstanding relationship with newcomers, being able to guide them technically and career-wise.
- Good communication and soft skills.
- Engaged in helping other people learn.
- You must be an outstanding individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
- You make yourself available to support and advise newcomers on-demand, always keeping their best interests in mind.
- You guide newcomers to settle in their new job and climb the learning curve faster.