Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Are you looking to utilize your organizational and analytical skills to research, evaluate, recommend, and administer total rewards programs? Do you enjoy working with systems, data, and tools, and gain satisfaction from completing analyses, improving operations, and taking ownership of processes? If so, we encourage you to apply to our Benefits Analyst role! We are looking for someone who will bring their enthusiasm and passion for Compensation and Benefits to Toptal to ensure that our offerings and programs are highly competitive, effective, and well run. Our ideal candidate takes initiative in identifying opportunities for improvement and solving problems.
In this role, you will work closely with the Director of Compensation and Benefits to continually improve and manage Toptal’s total rewards programs. You will also establish good working relationships with Toptal’s Chief People Officer, People team members, Recruiters, and Payroll and Finance team members. You will provide exceptional service and responsiveness to Toptal’s Core team members.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
You will be responsible for the day-to-day operations and administration of our benefit programs and will support Core team members relating to their benefits, leaves of absence, etc. Initially the role will be 80% benefits and 20% compensation responsibilities. After about six months, that will move closer to a 60% benefits and 40% compensation split. You will support Toptal’s annual open benefits enrollment as well as the rollout of new benefits offerings. You will assist the Director of Compensation and Benefits with job evaluations, market compensation analysis, and compensation plan documentation. You will perform special projects, as needed.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Perform health and welfare plan administration, COBRA administration, FMLA and other leave administration, and 401(k) administration and compliance.
- Establish and support a regular cadence of benefits administration.
- Ensure smooth processes, feeds, and operations with vendors, our Payroll and Finance teams; reconcile and process vendor invoices.
- Assist with compliance by helping to put plan documents, plan amendments, summary plan descriptions, tax filings, and any other necessary documents in place.
- Assist in the annual benefits renewal process and open enrollment.
- Perform market compensation analysis utilizing survey data.
- Match Toptal’s jobs to survey jobs and gather base salary, total cash compensation, and total compensation data.
- Determine appropriate market values and compensation reference points.
- Conduct job evaluations to determine appropriate job levels and compensation bands/ranges.
- Assist with research on geographic pay differentials, impacts of taxation on pay levels, and assignment of geographic bands.
- Assist with annual review spreadsheet preparation and with modeling and costing out of compensation initiatives.
- Complete compensation survey and other survey submissions.
- Support the onboarding process by acting as the point of contact for new team members with benefits-related questions, specifically around individual new hire enrollment.
- Serve as the main point of contact for day-to-day benefits questions or requests across Toptal and for the specific projects that you are responsible for leading.
- Monitor Slack channels and respond to requests and inquiries.
- Respond to compensation questions within the scope of the role.
- Handle any benefits questions, including COBRA, for departing Core team members and ensure that team members are provided with the proper information upon departing Toptal.
Projects (may include, but not be limited to):
- Conducting research into practices in compensation and benefits management, including new offerings or services.
- Working on company-wide rollouts and helping to set up the tools and platforms for annual people processes such as open enrollment, merit increases, etc.
- Assisting with identifying, securing, and implementing new systems or tools to improve our services and processes.
In the first week, expect to:
- Work with the Director of Compensation and Benefits and People team to begin to understand Toptal’s rewards programs and processes.
- Explore the current tools and resources and understand how they are currently used.
- Experience our new hire benefits enrollment during the onboarding period.
In the first month, expect to:
- Gain a comprehensive knowledge of People processes within Toptal.
- Understand Toptal’s benefit offerings.
- Understand compensation structures that exist within Toptal.
- Begin to handle tasks and day-to-day requests and process them independently.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Continue to develop relationships across the organization.
- Confidently handle day-to-day requests independently.
- Update current processes and collaborate on new initiatives.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Reflect on your observations since you started, identify where there are areas for improvement, and recommend changes, as applicable.
- Continue to fine-tune current processes and implement new ideas and initiatives.
- Contribute significantly through assigned project work.
In the first year, expect to:
- Be viewed as a Toptal culture ambassador.
- Thoroughly understand the company structure, operations, and rewards programs.
- Continue to implement new scalable process improvements as the organization grows.
- Be viewed as a trusted resource throughout the organization.
- 2+ years of directly applicable compensation and benefits experience working with cross-functional teams, preferably in a hyper growth environment.
- Experience administering health and welfare plans, leave of absence programs, and 401(k) programs.
- Experience with market pricing, job evaluations, and base pay administration.
- Experience working in a tech startup environment with a large population of Engineers strongly preferred.
- Certifications and completed coursework from WorldatWork or SHRM is a plus.
- Experience working 100% remotely is a plus.
- Working knowledge of Employee benefit programs, including health and welfare programs.
- Knowledge of international or country-specific benefits would be a plus.
- Knowledge of Pay management fundamentals, including base and variable pay.
- Prior experience using HRIS systems, with specific knowledge of UKG being a plus.
- Knowledge of operations, processes, and roles that constitute a high-performing People team.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to determine the steps and products needed for an analysis, based on receiving direction. in the form of objectives or a problem statement.
- Ability to work independently and take ownership of tasks and processes, but also able to work well with team members at all levels and across all functions of the business.
- Exercise sound judgment in problem solving or escalating to the next level.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Experience using Slack and other collaboration tools is strongly preferred.
- Proficiency with Google suite is strongly preferred.
- Exceptional attention to detail and commitment to work quality.
- Highly organized and reliable with respect to completing tasks and meeting deadlines.
- Highly proficient with spreadsheets and presentation software.
- Ability to work under pressure and adhere to deadlines without sacrificing quality.
- Customer service orientation and genuine fondness for interacting with others.
- Displaying a positive, can-do attitude, and proactively seek out work.
- Following up to ensure that tasks and communication loops are successfully closed out.
- Displaying a natural curiosity about compensation data and benefits practices and inclination to find the best way to do things.
- Flexibility to work outside of normal hours on occasion to accommodate a global workforce.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.