Toptal is one of the most innovative and rapidly expanding tech start-ups from Silicon Valley. With backing from investors such as Andreessen Horowitz and Adam D’Angelo, our platform is the fastest growing labor marketplace in the history of the Internet—connecting thousands of elite engineers and designers all over the world. In the last five years, Toptal has become the #1 choice for tech companies requiring top-tier engineering and design talent and for the top 3% of freelancers looking for their next challenge.
While we’re primarily focused on bringing quality and value to our clients, we’re also committed to creating a world-class environment for our employees. We are a completely distributed company with thousands of core and network team members located all over the world, and we take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We take an all-hands-on-deck approach to our work, taking pride in being collaborative, creative, and flexible.
If you aren’t looking for a job because you’re already killing it, we want you.
Toptal is a fast growing business. We accomplished that by implementing a large number of business processes that our systems facilitates, tracks and optimizes. As a business-driven company, we’re constantly looking for ways to streamline business processes, improve their scalability and growth potential.
By joining our team, you’ll get the opportunity to influence the way we implement BPM into our systems. You will be helping the rest of the development team to gain an understanding of the best way to implement our business processes.
We never compromise on quality - we will dedicate whatever resources are needed to create the best possible solution.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere; however, we do things like rent out hotels in Africa or mansions in Thailand, and you will certainly be invited to come work with us.
- Creating a brand new BPM engine based on a solid mathematical modeling language.
- Modeling business processes using the BPM engine.
- Proactively bringing BPM expertise to continuously improve the engine and business processes.
- Ensuring robustness and ease of understanding of Toptal’s business processes.
- Educating internal developers on business process modelling techniques and on common patterns and pitfall avoidance.
- Experience with an object oriented programming language (i.e. Ruby, Python, Java, C#, …)
- A passion for understanding, modelling and improving business processes management in companies.
- Previous hands-on experience with building a BPM engine from scratch
- 2+ years of experience using a major BPM system (Activiti, Camunda, Oracle, IBM, etc.) to design business processes.
- Post production support experience.
- Experience developing a BPM (or similar) engine is a bonus.
- Mathematical background is a bonus, in particular experience with Petri Nets.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and deadlines with attention to details.
- Strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills with the ability to exercise mature judgment.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including presentation skills.
- Communicates effectively, works collaboratively and cooperatively with others.
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- With multiple degrees in Computer Science, Bozhidar is a hacker obsessed with Ruby, Clojure, and Emacs. He loves solving challenging problems and building neat stuff. He's a serial open source contributor, a frequent speaker at conferences, and an avid technical blogger. At Toptal, Bozhidar is dedicated to building a world-class development team and creating superb products for all Toptal clients, developers, and team members.
- Alexander started as a senior developer at NetCracker Technology Corp. before moving to a technical manager position, leading teams of up to 10 developers. He then switched his focus to start-ups, and, as the technical co-founder, implemented several projects from scratch. For a year he was employed as CTO at glavskidka.ru, where he was involved in both business processes and development, while building the development team and the product from the ground up. At Toptal, Alexander combines his experience in both corporate and start-up environments to lead internal technological development. Alexander has a MS in Applied Mathematics and Physics from the Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology and does further research in Computer-Human Interaction while completing a PhD at the Institute of Control Sciences of RAS.
- With experience as a lead engineer at Fotolog (acquired by Hi-Media for $100m) and Slide (acquired by Google for $228m), as well as experience with his own start-ups, Taso brings top engineering knowledge and management experience to Toptal. While running a small engineering consulting firm, Taso recognized that while many of his co-workers overseas were just as good as his friends and colleagues at Google, Facebook, and other companies with distinguished engineering talent, it was simply very difficult for such companies to connect with the right engineers remotely. Toptal was thus created as a solution to the sky-rocketing demand for top engineers in Silicon Valley, the US, and Europe despite the shrinking local graduation rates of such engineers. Taso was recently selected by Forbes as one of its 30 under 30 in Enterprise Technology.