Toptal is a network of the world’s top 3% of software engineering, design, and finance talent – available on demand to help companies accelerate, adapt, and scale. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun [see this video from The Huffington Post]. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
If you’re not in the job market, you’re exactly the type of person we’re looking for.
Toptal is a fast growing business. We accomplished that by implementing a large number of business processes that our systems facilitates, tracks and optimizes. As a business-driven company, we’re constantly looking for ways to streamline business processes, improve their scalability and growth potential.
By joining our team, you’ll get the opportunity to influence the way we implement BPM into our systems. You will be helping the rest of the development team to gain an understanding of the best way to implement our business processes.
We never compromise on quality - we will dedicate whatever resources are needed to create the best possible solution.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere; however, we do things like rent out hotels in Africa or mansions in Thailand, and you will certainly be invited to come work with us.
- Creating a brand new BPM engine based on a solid mathematical modeling language.
- Modeling business processes using the BPM engine.
- Proactively bringing BPM expertise to continuously improve the engine and business processes.
- Ensuring robustness and ease of understanding of Toptal’s business processes.
- Educating internal developers on business process modelling techniques and on common patterns and pitfall avoidance.
- Experience with an object oriented programming language (i.e. Ruby, Python, Java, C#, …)
- A passion for understanding, modelling and improving business processes management in companies.
- Previous hands-on experience with building a BPM engine from scratch
- 2+ years of experience using a major BPM system (Activiti, Camunda, Oracle, IBM, etc.) to design business processes.
- Post production support experience.
- Experience developing a BPM (or similar) engine is a bonus.
- Mathematical background is a bonus, in particular experience with Petri Nets.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and deadlines with attention to details.
- Strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills with the ability to exercise mature judgment.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including presentation skills.
- Communicates effectively, works collaboratively and cooperatively with others.
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- As Toptal's CTO, Alexander is the technical leader of Toptal's 20+ core engineering teams, focusing on technical innovation across Toptal's state-of-the-art platform and associated products, including building a new programming language that powers Toptal's operational infrastructure and other architectural investments that are core to Toptal's ability to innovate. Alexander has an MA in Applied Mathematics and Physics from the Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology and has done further research in Computer-Human Interaction at the Institute of Control Sciences of the Russian Academy of Science.
- As Toptal's VP of Engineering, Bozhidar leads one of the world's largest fully distributed engineering organizations, ensuring the growth and quality of Toptal's technical operations, infrastructure, recruiting, and training in a 100% remote environment. Bozhidar is an avid open source contributor, and prior to joining Toptal, was a top 50 overall GitHub contributor and Ruby contributor, and the #1 Emacs package contributor. He is an Emacs core committer and the author of the top Ruby lint tool, the top Clojure IDE, and the Ruby, Rails, and Clojure style guides. Bozhidar is also a frequent conference speaker, technical author, and former CTO of a financial trading platform. Bozhidar has an MA in Computer Science from the Technical University of Sofia.
- As Toptal’s co-founder and CEO, Taso manages Toptal’s core team of hundreds of team members distributed throughout the world, with a focus on innovation. Since Toptal was founded in 2010, Taso has led it to become the largest high-skilled labor marketplace in the world. Taso serves on the board of multiple organizations, advising on talent strategy and innovation for Fortune 100s and non-profits. Taso has guest lectured at Harvard Business School, Wharton, and Oxford on talent management and entrepreneurship.