Business Analytics Team Lead
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Toptal is looking for a senior-level business analyst to serve as both an analyst and team lead, providing business leaders with crucial insights and recommendations for improvement. This role is part of a newer and growing Business Analytics Center of Excellence, where analysts are assigned to support one or more business functions.
The successful candidate will use data, create and define metrics, measure performance, and develop reports. They will also build models, forecast outcomes, run experiments, and perform in-depth diagnostic analysis. As a team lead and player-coach, you will mentor and direct the priorities of a small team of business analysts within the business discipline assigned, and serve as a key interface to executive stakeholders.
Ultimate success in this role goes beyond data-related activities and delivers the “so what” that drives decisions and real business impact. It is imperative to fully understand the business function (processes, objectives, organization, performance drivers, barriers), and connect the dots between data analysis, business strategy, financial and operational effectiveness.
We are looking for someone who is excited about seeing the bigger picture to make cross-functional connections in business processes, financial performance, and data. We expect that we not only answer the question asked, but also the question that was not. The Business Analytics Team Lead needs to build positive relationships across the organization and have a “find a way” attitude.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Serve as an analytics team leader for a major function - guiding and mentoring assigned analysts.
- Analyze data, build models, test hypotheses, find root causes, develop prototypes, forecast performance, create Tableau reports, and write SQL scripts; and extract insights from these data activities to inform business decisions.
- Use descriptive (what happened) and diagnostic (why did it happen) analytics to develop specific, actionable recommendations for business leaders.
- Define metrics that are independent, holistic, accurate, encourage the right behaviors, and are aligned with company strategy and objectives.
- Map business processes to their corresponding data flows.
- Proactively identify and surface opportunities to improve efficiency, conversion, revenue generation, client and talent experience, operations, communication, systems & tools, cash usage, etc.
- Work closely with data analysts, data scientists, report developers, and business process owners to empower data-backed decision making.
- Interface with executive stakeholders to prioritize work and meet expectations for completion and quality.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal, and quickly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision.
- Shadow key teams to learn the core of Toptal’s operations and capabilities, including Growth, Talent Operations, Enterprise, and SMB.
In the first month, expect to:
- Understand the data generated through company operations and activities and where/how that data is stored–especially as it relates to our team.
- Obtain a basic understanding of the assigned business function and its operations.
- Assess the current state of performance metrics, reports, dashboards, models, and analyses used, and identify discrepancies and areas for improvement.
- Begin supporting the function leader with relevant insights and reports for bi-weekly leadership meetings.
- Begin to lead discussions with executive stakeholders and prioritize the work.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Develop a proficiency of data elements of the function and obtain a robust understanding of critical business processes.
- Gain an understanding and ability to assess the drivers and impacts of business decisions on financial performance.
- Begin identifying new opportunities to explore in the quest to improve performance continually. *Refine prioritization processes and begin coaching team members to meet expectations.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Begin to solve real business problems as a team that will move the needle on key performance metrics and financial performance.
- Perform detailed root cause analysis to expose critical drivers of performance.
- Put processes in place to continually uplevel team performance.
In the first year, expect to:
- Inform significant strategic initiatives, goals, priorities, and performance indicators.
- Become an expert both on business process and data flow, and assist in building a new outstanding business analytics function. *Uplevel the performance of individual analysts.
- 5+ years of experience in data analysis, analytics, or business intelligence is required.
- 2+ years of experience within general consulting or an analytical operations function is required. *2+ years of supervisory experience.
- Both a strong background in math, science, finance, engineering, or statistics and deep business insight is required; advanced degrees and/or MBA are a plus.
- Experience with BI tools (Tableau, Qlik, PowerBI, etc.).
- Proficiency in SQL; experience with R, Python, SAS, or MATLAB is a plus.
- Experience with exploratory data analysis, prototyping, testing hypotheses, performing root cause analyses, modeling business processes, building forecasts, creating predictive models, defining metrics, and/or measuring business performance.
- Track record of linking data and analytics to business strategy, financial performance, and operations to drive real impact.
- Working knowledge of probability and statistics, experience with process improvement is a plus.
- Ability to explain complex issues simply and intuitively, and willingness to challenge assumptions, communicate limitations and flag blind spots.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.