Business Strategy & Finance Analyst
Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Are you looking to play a meaningful role as a strategic advisor to both our business functions and our leaders? Do you have an uncanny ability to see the bigger picture and make cross-functional connections to business processes, financial performance, and data? If so, we encourage you to apply to our Business Analyst role! This role reports to the Director of Business Analytics and is on the Business Operations team. Our Business Operations Team is a multi-disciplinary group working across the broader Toptal organization to orchestrate the strategic approach, execution frameworks, analytics, and team structures necessary to drive Toptal’s growth.
We’re looking for a senior-level analyst with FP&A experience who will use data, create and define metrics, measure performance, build models, forecast outcomes, run experiments, and perform in-depth financial analysis. You will provide business leaders with crucial insights and recommendations for improvement, particularly in regard to financial performance. This role requires in-depth business and financial acumen, in addition to excellent technical data skills.
We are very driven and proactive, think independently, and do not just take orders. Our Business Analyst needs to build positive relationships across the organization and have a “find a way” attitude. Ultimate success goes beyond data- and modeling-related activities and delivers the “so what” that drives decisions and real business impact. The expectation is to answer not only the question asked but the one that wasn’t.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Analyze data, test hypotheses, find root causes, develop prototypes, forecast performance, build financial models, and extract insights from all these activities to inform business decisions
- Build models utilizing SQL and Python
- Utilize your financial analysis skills to assess and make recommendations that will optimize the financial performance of the organization
- Define financial metrics that are independent, holistic, accurate, encourage the right behaviors, and that are aligned with company strategy and objectives
- Proactively identify and surface opportunities to improve efficiency, conversion, revenue generation, client and talent experience, operations, communication, systems & tools, cash usage, etc.
- Partner with our CFO to establish a financial analysis framework; partner with and train other Business Analysts to support business functions with sound financial analysis
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal, and quickly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision
- Start to get a deep understanding of all aspects of the financial operations of the Company
- Start to familiarize yourself with all existing data sources
In the first month, expect to:
- Understand the data generated through company operations and activities and where/how that data is stored
- Assess the current state of performance metrics, reports, dashboards, models, and analyses used, and identify discrepancies and areas for improvement
- Begin developing a framework and models to tackle capital allocation and ROI optimization
In the first three months, expect to:
- Refine and solidify capital allocation and return on investment framework and models for discussion and alignment with all key stakeholders, including presenting recommendations to executive team members
- Ensure that we have a repeatable and scalable process in place to make capital allocation decisions and ingrain this process into our ongoing financial and business budgeting, planning, and forecasting processes
- Support P&L Management and ongoing business performance reviews
- Build, maintain and distribute reports
In the first six months, expect to:
- Leverage all new frameworks and models to support the development of a robust multi-year strategic/financial plan
- Drive execution of new frameworks and build/maintain related reporting, dashboards, etc.
- Take ownership of certain P&Ls, budgeting, and planning processes and tasks
- Provide key support (including modeling) to other Finance initiatives, e.g. Tax Strategy, FX Strategy, etc.
- Become an amazing business partner to various teams in the Company and support with various ad-hoc analytics and modeling needs
- 5+ years of experience in FP&A, financial modeling, business analytics, data science, business intelligence, or reporting is required
- Experience building return on investment models, analyzing P&Ls, calculating financial indicators & ratios, and creating pricing models & analysis
- Experience with data tools & technologies such as SQL, R, Python, Tableau, Qlik, PowerBI, etc.
- Experience in exploratory data analysis, prototyping, testing hypotheses, performing root cause analyses, modeling business processes, building forecasts, creating predictive models, defining metrics, and/or measuring business performance
- Track record of linking data and analytics to business strategy, financial performance, and operations to drive real impact
- Working knowledge of probability and statistics, experience with process improvement is a plus
- Ability to explain complex issues simply and intuitively, and willingness to challenge assumptions, communicate limitations and flag blind spots
- Both a proven background in math, science, finance, engineering, or statistics and deep business insight and financial sense are required; advanced degrees and/or MBA are a plus
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.