Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold
As Toptal’s Chief of Staff, you will work closely with Toptal’s CEO and executive team to maximize the impact of the CEO’s network and activities across global conference & event appearances, partnerships, PR, business development, and more. You will think like an entrepreneur, developing and testing strategies for driving value for Toptal through the CEO’s externally-facing activities. You will excel at measuring impact, operations, relationship-building, and strategy, and will be relentlessly resourceful in your role.
You will be expected to have world-class organization skills, and be capable of collaborating constantly and extremely effectively with Toptal’s CEO and other executives both internal and external. You will also be expected to have exceptional presentation skills and emotional intelligence across all forms of communication, including strong foresight and independent judgement.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. You will need to travel frequently, sometimes on short notice, as part of your role.
Your areas of focus will include events, PR and media opportunities, business development and partnership opportunities, and more. Working with Toptal’s CEO and Executive Assistant, Head of PR, VP of Events, relevant commercial leaders, and more, you will integrate into Toptal’s day-to-day operations and identify areas in which the CEO can personally drive critical value for the Toptal organization.
You will gain a deep working understanding of Toptal’s key clients, partnership and business development challenges, ongoing and upcoming initiatives, PR opportunities, thought leadership partners, as well as the CEO’s network of existing relationships, and more. You will also gain a deep understanding of global trends in the future of work and the key forces driving these trends. You will develop strategies and test initiatives designed to unblock challenging problems in each of these areas through the direct involvement of Toptal’s CEO, accelerating Toptal’s growth and addressing long-term strategic challenges.
You will be responsible for executing on all initiatives, including customized outreach to key, senior-level contacts, in-person relationship building at events, development of conference talking points and presentations, and coordination with the Toptal team both before and after events.
You will also manage the budget for all activities, proving the ROI of your work by creating systems for measuring impact and adapting strategy based on gathered data. You will be expected to be a world-class individual contributor in this role, making phone calls, writing well-researched and customized emails, compiling data and analytics, and more.
While this role will involve some work in-person at events, a major component of this role will be customized research and outreach to key contacts. To succeed in this role, you will need to be exceptionally creative and resourceful, have strong problem-solving ability, have strong analytical and relationship building skills, and have a strong ability to learn and adapt from past experiences.
In the first week you will:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Rapidly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision.
- Shadow key teams across the company to learn the core of Toptal’s operations and capabilities.
- Learn about the company’s key metrics and goals.
- Learn the roles and priorities of key stakeholders across the company.
In the first month you will:
- Get up to speed on upcoming opportunities in events, PR, and business development to understand their underlying strategies and contribute new ideas.
- Deep dive into ongoing and upcoming strategies and initiatives at the organization, prioritizing by areas in which the CEO can personally drive impact.
- Implement a system that will store and manage all of the CEO’s contacts and track key events and attendees.
In the first three months you will:
- Develop a holistic strategy for the Chief of Staff role and the CEO’s involvement across events, PR, business development, partnerships, etc. that integrates smoothly into ongoing initiatives across Toptal and includes clear KPIs and definitions of success.
- Take over management of a defined budget for the Chief of Staff role.
- Execute on defined strategies at events and media opportunities, conducting customized outreach, setting up meetings, preparing the CEO with pre-event briefs, coordinating and debriefing with the Toptal team, managing spend, and measuring impact as relevant.
- Review the CEO’s existing contacts and incorporate them into your holistic strategy.
- Define KPIs for your role, build systems for measuring impact, and begin collecting data.
In the first six months you will:
- Execute your defined strategy, testing rapidly to scale what works and kill what doesn’t, driving measurable impact for ongoing Toptal initiatives across events, PR, business development, partnerships, etc.
- Deeply integrate yourself in all relevant areas of the Toptal team, working with leaders across the company to strategize, stay ahead of business needs, and unblock difficult problems with creative solutions and the CEO’s direct involvement.
- Work with the CEO in-person at events, media opportunities, and more, doing everything necessary to maximize impact through advance preparation and follow-up both externally and internally with appropriate members of the Toptal team.
- You must have world-class organization skills.
- You must have world-class presentation skills (written, in-person, formal presentations, internal, external, networking with C-levels professionally and socially, etc.).
- You must have tremendous emotional intelligence, including exceptional foresight and judgement.
- You must be highly detail-oriented and comfortable wearing many hats.
- You must have strong research and synthesis skills.
- You must be extremely resourceful and creative, capable of solving difficult, critical problems by leveraging the extensive resources of the Toptal organization.
- You must be able to effectively manage a budget, including optimizing the allocation of resources and showing ROI on all spend.
- You must have strong operational skills and be capable of setting up systems to measure the impact of your work.
- Ownership. You take responsibility for the work you do.
- Quality. You take pride in everything you deliver as a reflection of yourself.
- Critical thinking. You must be able to think strategically to connect the dots between external opportunities and available resources/capabilities across the Toptal organization.
- Integrity, at the highest level. You must be able to exercise good judgement on behalf of others.
- Highly resilient. You must have a growth mindset and be very comfortable giving and taking direct feedback and constructive criticism. You must be an exceptional performer in high-pressure situations.
- Ability to communicate clearly and constantly with teams via Slack and other collaboration tools.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal.
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- As Toptal’s co-founder and CEO, Taso manages Toptal’s core team of hundreds of team members distributed throughout the world, with a focus on innovation. Since Toptal was founded in 2010, Taso has led it to become the largest high-skilled labor marketplace in the world. Taso serves on the board of multiple organizations, advising on talent strategy and innovation for Fortune 100s and non-profits. Taso has guest lectured at Harvard Business School, Wharton, and Oxford on talent management and entrepreneurship.