Chief Analytics Officer
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
We invite you to review our current Executive Team before applying to the position. As Toptal’s Chief Analytics Officer, you will play a key role in shaping the analytics practices of Toptal and ensuring that our Analytics function is set up to provide deep business insights and accelerate Toptal’s data-driven decision making. Reporting to our CEO and serving on the company’s Executive Team, you will have the opportunity to develop and implement an analytics strategy that can scale to our growing volume of data assets and our future growth.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
The Chief Analytics Officer will lead an exceptional and growing Analytics function for all of Toptal. You will be responsible for all aspects of analytics at Toptal, including all teams, infrastructure, and processes that relate to analytics.
You will develop relationships across the organization with key stakeholders and fellow executives to scale the Analytics function. Recognizing the complexity of the organization and the individual needs of each team, you will develop a long-term roadmap and strategy for scaling and advancing the analytics abilities of Toptal. Your approach will be collaborative in nature as you develop solutions that provide valuable insights to the teams you support. Working alongside your Executive colleagues, you will prioritize your team’s initiatives and efforts to drive initiatives in the areas of the business that will make the biggest impact immediately, and work overtime to bring the same level of analytical insights to every function of the organization.
This role is ideal for proven executives who are strategic people leaders skilled at hiring, managing, and training teams in a rapidly-scaling environment. You will work in an entirely distributed company and help support the execution of a growing and enhanced discipline while learning about how an organization is built from the ground up.
In the first week expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Rapidly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision.
- Shadow key teams across the company to learn the core of Toptal’s operations and capabilities.
In the first month expect to:
- Gain an understanding of the current state of the discipline and related strengths and weaknesses.
- Understand the company operations and activities, and how those activities generate data and reflect business performance.
- Understand processes that govern the intake and prioritization of business requests, estimating, and ensuring accurate and timely completion of work in progress.
In the first three months expect to:
- Develop/refine existing training and mentoring programs for Analytics and assume ownership of its success.
- Strengthen and unify the prioritization processes for analytics requests.
- Partner with the Senior Director to create and review work designed to inform critical business decisions.
- Validate the work of the Analytics team to ensure the accuracy of proper analysis and recommendations.
In the first six months expect to:
- Build strong relationships with members of the Executive and Senior Leadership teams.
- Review and validate complex analytics insights.
- Prepare executive ‘stories’ for higher-level and complex analytics insights.
- Assume responsibility for certain analytics executive meetings.
In the first year expect to:
- Achieve recognition as an expert at the company for your areas of responsibility.
- Meet/exceed stakeholder expectations for analytics.
- Have a strong infrastructure in place to ensure quality and consistency across all activities and deliverables within the Analytics function.
- Strong background leading successful Business Analytics teams at a fast-paced company with complex analytics needs.
- Proven leadership skills with an ability to train, motivate, coach, and hold teams accountable to produce high-quality results.
- An ability to work cross-functionally with key stakeholders across the business with a desire to provide best-in-class solutions to address the unique analytics needs of their function.
- You must be driven by the prospect of building and leading a high-performing Analytics function that scales with Toptal over time.
- Self-starter who is able to be hands-on and can analyze, interpret and derive insights into business reports, analytic models, and data sources.
- Excellent skills at effectively presenting and influencing stakeholder strategic business decisions based on complex data analytics.
- Experience managing, coaching, and growing individuals in analytics, data affluency, reporting, and storytelling.
- Ability to negotiate competing priorities in the business.
- Exceptional communication skills and ability to coach others to communicate effectively through presentations and delivery.
- Demonstrated data visualization and querying (SQL) expertise. Tableau experience is preferred, but similar systems with transferable skill sets (Looker, QlikView, Periscope, PowerBI, etc) are acceptable.
- Working knowledge of data management and architecture to assist our team in optimizing our data assets to support business operations.
- Ability to consult with Data Scientists and Machine Learning experts. Working knowledge of probability and statistics is required; experience in programming languages used in data science (R, MATLAB, Python) is a plus.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.