Chief Marketing Officer
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
We invite you to review our current Executive team before applying to the position. As Toptal’s Chief Marketing Officer, you will play a key role in shaping the brand of Toptal for years to come and ensure that our vision of being the greatest talent company in the world is visible in everything we do. Reporting to our CEO and serving on the company’s Executive team, you will have the opportunity to unify the brand vision and creative elements across all levels of the organization. As a dynamic leader who sets elevated quality standards, you will ensure that the principles Toptal stands for are effectively communicated to all relevant audiences by planning and directing a synchronized communications, public relations, and marketing strategy. You will be the authority, curator, and decision-maker when it comes to all aspects of the brand at Toptal. This role is ideal for proven executives who are ambitious, creative, and strategic people leaders who are skilled at driving growing teams in a rapidly-scaling environment.
The level of attention to detail required for this position is possibly the most important part of this role. We’re looking for someone who will debate whether or not to use an Oxford comma, debate the shade of green within an ad campaign, and has the ability to create ideas that can translate into excellent brand initiatives and marketing campaigns. You will be expected to be the gatekeeper of quality as it pertains to brand at Toptal, and should be looked up to as the person with the absolute highest level of attention to detail within the marketing function.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Develop, refine, and ensure frameworks, processes, and policies related to brand are adhered to and hold members of the organization strictly accountable.
- Partner with other Toptal functions including Public Relations, Events, Design, Content, Enterprise, and Growth to fill their needs for content, images, and video.
- Establish clear guidelines for brand identity and ensure brand consistency across all outlets.
- Ensure the quality and effectiveness of brand content.
- Build and effectively manage the senior leadership team for the Brand Marketing function.
- Ensure consistent strategic and tactical alignment throughout your team by establishing ambitious Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) for the brand function.
- Establish required levels of competency and governance processes to ensure others can operate independently while adhering to your strict standards for quality.
- Drive and push the limits of creativity with everyone in the organization, ensuring that we’re always challenging the upper limits of what we can do to amplify our brand and embark on forward-thinking marketing campaigns.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Rapidly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision.
- Meet with leadership from all Brand Marketing teams.
- Meet with key executives to understand their perceptions of Toptal Brand and its importance to their success.
- Understand the fundamentals of Toptal’s Brand Marketing operations and what sets us apart.
- Learn about the Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) and goals that have been set forth for your function.
In the first month, expect to:
- Meet with other Executive Leadership Team members to obtain an overview of our business, team structures, and needs.
- Refine the OKRs, and associated roadmaps for the brand marketing function, with your senior leadership team.
- Work with Toptal’s CEO to understand the initiatives and relationships that are key to your success.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Build and begin executing upon frameworks, policies, and processes to meet strategic objectives and ensure quality.
- Perform a comprehensive quality audit to reveal gaps in brand adherence.
- Work with analytics to define/solidify performance success metrics and related targets for all functions.
- Create solid training, containing clear guidelines for consistency with brand identity, for your functional employees and others across Toptal that leverage our brand.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Deliver training and execute upon processes to ensure adherence to brand standards.
- Close major gaps revealed through the quality audit.
- Execute upon Brand Marketing functional and team Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) and initiatives outlined in your roadmaps.
In the first year, expect to:
- Achieve recognition as an expert at the company for your areas of responsibility within the Brand Marketing function.
- Meet/exceed stakeholder expectations for the delivery of content that meets world-class standards.
- Have a strong infrastructure in place to ensure quality and consistency across all activities and deliverables within the Brand Marketing function.
- You must have an extremely high attention to detail when judging copy, creative, design, and all forms of brand-related work products.
- Proven leadership skills with an ability to motivate, coach, and hold teams accountable to produce high-quality results.
- You must be driven by the prospect of building a high-performing Brand Marketing function that scales with Toptal over time.
- Strong professional background leading successful teams, including direct experience developing and executing marketing strategies, content development, communications plans, and overseeing 360 campaign creation (including video, OOH/print, email, events, websites, digital, social, etc.).
- Experience developing strategy for a multi-faceted Brand Marketing function and the establishment of team objectives and key results.
- Experience with the nuances of different forms of marketing tactics and how to adapt messaging and design to each form.
- Experience delivering marketing content (case studies, white papers, etc.) for B2B professional services is preferred.
- Ability to establish processes in a fast-growing company with a focus on execution, quality, and extreme attention to detail.
- You must be a self-starter with initiative and drive, capable of executing rapidly with limited strategic direction.
- You must have an exceptional eye for quality and an unwillingness to compromise on high standards for both messaging and design.
- You must have excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to collaborate with individuals across a variety of functions.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor first and foremost to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.