Toptal is a network of the world’s top 3% of software engineering, design, and finance talent – available on demand to help companies accelerate, adapt, and scale. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun [see this video from The Huffington Post]. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
If you’re not in the job market, you’re exactly the type of person we’re looking for.
As Toptal’s Chief of Staff, you will think like an entrepreneur who is hyper focused on win-win outcomes related to every external interaction the CEO has. You will work directly with the CEO through a phase of high growth and rapid expansion. You thrive at developing relationships and will confidently interact daily with senior level individuals. You will be a resourceful, direct contributor who proactively and continuously finds ways to add value.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. You may have to travel frequently as part of your role.
You will work very closely with the CEO and Executive Assistant in order to better leverage existing contacts and develop those relationships. You will be an expert at identifying opportunities and connecting the dots to internal resources in order to create amazing outcomes. You will ensure the CEO is thoroughly prepared for meetings and all internal stakeholders are debriefed on key opportunities and follow up action items. Your constant focus on what it will take to maximize business development opportunities will ensure no detail is missed when it comes to follow through.
In the first week you will:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Gain a deep understanding of the roles and priorities of key stakeholders.
In the first month you will:
- Implement a system that will store and manage all of the CEO’s contacts and track key events and attendees.
In the first three months you will:
- Produce pre-event briefing and debriefing documents for the CEO.
- Create upcoming event reports for key internal stakeholders.
- Review existing contacts and identify where they may be leveraged for business development opportunities.
In the first six months you will:
- Identify outreach opportunities, ensure communication with key contacts happens successfully.
- Ensure post event opportunities are transitioned to stakeholders while keeping track of progress and key updates the CEO should be aware of.
In the first year you will:
- Make it happen. You will have primary responsibility for identifying business development opportunities generated by the CEO’s network and event schedule.
- Ensure all opportunities are handed off seamlessly to relevant stakeholders and follow through is completed.
- You must be extremely organized.
- You must be highly detail-oriented and comfortable wearing many hats.
- Possesses servant leadership characteristics.
- You must have strong research and synthesis skills.
- Ownership. You take responsibility for the work you do.
- Quality. You take pride in everything you deliver as a reflection of yourself.
- You must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Active listener. Ability to listen and connect the dots across a large organization and multiple initiatives.
- Integrity, at the highest level. You must be able to exercise good judgement on behalf of others.
- Emotionally stable and resilient. Comfortable giving and taking direct feedback and constructive criticism.
- Ability to communicate clearly and constantly with teams via Slack and other collaboration tools.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal.
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- Raj completed joint Bachelor's and Master's degrees from Oxford in Physics, before ditching oscilloscopes for PowerPoint and getting an MBA from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania. He has spent most of his career in consulting at Marakon, focusing on Corporate Strategy and New Market Entry for Fortune 500 Companies. Most recently, Raj launched Skillbridge, a platform that matches top-tier freelance consultants with companies. Raj has also worked for social impact startups in Kenya with Technoserve.
- As Toptal’s co-founder and CEO, Taso manages Toptal’s core team of hundreds of team members distributed throughout the world, with a focus on innovation. Since Toptal was founded in 2010, Taso has led it to become the largest high-skilled labor marketplace in the world. Taso serves on the board of multiple organizations, advising on talent strategy and innovation for Fortune 100s and non-profits. Taso has guest lectured at Harvard Business School, Wharton, and Oxford on talent management and entrepreneurship.