Toptal is a network of the world’s top 3% of software engineering, design, finance, and project management talent – available on demand to help companies accelerate, adapt, and scale. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun [see this video from The Huffington Post]. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
If you’re not in the job market, you’re exactly the type of person we’re looking for.
As a Chief Software Architect at Toptal, you will help us scale for our continued growth as a game-changing, industry-defining company shaping the future of work. You will be accountable for our software technology to be in tune with the business’s strategic vision and will work across multiple engineering teams to ensure the development of maintainable and scalable products.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere.
You will work directly with the CTO and ultimately own the full cycle of technical solutions across all Toptal products to build a solid tech suite based on SOA. You will overlook 20+ teams to find and analyze technical challenges they are currently having with their projects/products or might face in the future. You will build and engage a group of proactive senior engineers to collaboratively design solutions to those challenges; you will need to make reasoned decisions on a wide scale of technologies. You will work with the CTO to prioritize technical initiatives by impact, build a technical roadmap and align it with the product roadmap. You will establish software design principles and coding standards within the organization, and ensure timely execution of the technical roadmap within the teams. You will work in an entirely distributed company and help define an entirely new space, while learning about how an organization scales on a hyper-growth trajectory.
In the first week you will:
- Join our bootcamp team and begin your introduction into Toptal.
- Get familiar with our product portfolio and team structure.
- Review our extensive Toptal Engineering Documentation to become familiar with our working processes.
In the first month you will:
- Transition from our bootcamp team and start exploring Toptal products and current challenges.
- Work with the teams to get familiar with current technical and product initiatives and their schedule.
In the first three months you will:
- Develop and drive an architecture guild, a technical community of proactive senior engineers from different teams to help you with understanding the problems, designing the solutions, and advocating the right technical direction in their teams.
- In collaboration with the guild, document the existing Toptal products’s architecture on different levels.
- Formalize and document a process for introducing new products, components, dependencies to ensure an aligned technical strategy across all teams.
- Ensure the team is following establish coding and software design approaches and standards.
- Overlook the execution of the existing technical roadmap.
- Get a clear understanding of the Toptal vision, product plans, and technical direction.
- Focus on eliminating major technical debt in the products and any pressing technical impediments for the teams.
In the first six months you will:
- Formulate a solid vision for the technical direction of Toptal and evangelize it in the engineering team.
- Train the architecture guild and the broader team on software design patterns and principles we follow.
- Balance the technical roadmap to account for both existing technical debt and long-term strategy for sustainable growth.
- Be able to explain the impact of any technical initiative, quantify it if needed, defend it in front of the company’s leadership, and balance it with the product roadmap.
In the first year you will:
- Ensure existing and new Toptal products are built with the same SOA principles and patterns in mind, or on the right track to getting there.
- Stay up to date with technology advancement and ensure our technology stack is optimized for strategic growth and the competitive advantage of Toptal.
- Create an effective and scalable decision making process for the technology-related questions in the team.
- Provide inspiration and guidance to the growing team; foster a culture of transparency, collaboration, and innovation.
- Previous experience working with multiple engineering teams.
- Experience architecting and maintaining of large scale web applications.
- Clear understanding of software design patterns and principles.
- Experience with SOA, understanding of service breakdown and communication principles.
- Experience with a variety of web application designs, including monolithic and service-oriented applications.
- Track record of delivering successful products as an engineer and a team lead.
- Hands-on person, working on the ground with the rest of the engineers. Post-technical doesn’t apply to you.
- Experience guiding continuous improvement of process and technology.
- Strong sense of ownership. You take responsibility for the success of the engineering teams.
- Commitment to quality. You take pride in everything you deliver as a reflection of yourself.
- Strong analytical and creative problem solving skills.
- Highly detail-oriented person. When you start analyzing a problem you cover all the bases, and leave no stones unturned.
- Ability to take smart risks and champion new ideas.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly and constantly with teams via Slack and other collaboration tools.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do. The only way we lead in Toptal is by example.
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- As Toptal's CTO, Alexander is the technical leader of Toptal's 20+ core engineering teams, focusing on technical innovation across Toptal's state-of-the-art platform and associated products, including building a new programming language that powers Toptal's operational infrastructure and other architectural investments that are core to Toptal's ability to innovate. Alexander has an MA in Applied Mathematics and Physics from the Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology and has done further research in Computer-Human Interaction at the Institute of Control Sciences of the Russian Academy of Science.
- As Toptal's VP of Engineering, Bozhidar leads one of the world's largest fully distributed engineering organizations, ensuring the growth and quality of Toptal's technical operations, infrastructure, recruiting, and training in a 100% remote environment. Bozhidar is an avid open source contributor, and prior to joining Toptal, was a top 50 overall GitHub contributor and Ruby contributor, and the #1 Emacs package contributor. He is an Emacs core committer and the author of the top Ruby lint tool, the top Clojure IDE, and the Ruby, Rails, and Clojure style guides. Bozhidar is also a frequent conference speaker, technical author, and former CTO of a financial trading platform. Bozhidar has an MA in Computer Science from the Technical University of Sofia.
- As Toptal’s co-founder and CEO, Taso manages Toptal’s core team of hundreds of team members distributed throughout the world, with a focus on innovation. Since Toptal was founded in 2010, Taso has led it to become the largest high-skilled labor marketplace in the world. Taso serves on the board of multiple organizations, advising on talent strategy and innovation for Fortune 100s and non-profits. Taso has guest lectured at Harvard Business School, Wharton, and Oxford on talent management and entrepreneurship.