Chief Technology Officer
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As the CTO at Toptal, you will be the primary person responsible for defining, communicating, and executing Toptal’s vision for technical innovation. Starting with a deep understanding of Toptal’s vision and mission, you will identify and create the technical innovations needed to support a global, elite talent network at scale, capable of serving tens of thousands of clients, talent, and engagements at a time without loss of quality, handling global transactions, and more. You will be the main technical strategist defining the future of the Toptal platform, a workflow-based system, as well as the entire extended suite of Toptal products, ensuring alignment across the entire company for the future of Toptal’s technology. You will establish and maintain technical excellence across Toptal’s codebase, designing a strategically sound microservices architecture and relentlessly minimizing technical debt.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- You will work with the VP of Engineering and VP of Product to define and communicate Toptal’s technical strategy and technical/product roadmaps, ensuring alignment both within the engineering organization and within the company at large about the future of Toptal’s technology.
- You will be the foremost technical expert and mentor at Toptal, working 1-1 or in small groups with engineers to strategize and execute Toptal’s most mission-critical technical initiatives as needed.
- You will work with the VP of Engineering to define clear, simple processes for agile software development at scale, including a clear, simple approach to measuring velocity within each engineering team. You will work with each team to develop strategies to improve their velocity and impact.
- You will support the VP of Engineering as needed in establishing operational excellence in the engineering team and in scaling the team to meet upcoming strategic needs.
- You will build a strong, meritocratic engineering culture based on technical excellence and a relentless drive to meet business goals.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Rapidly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision, with a particular focus on anticipated future growth challenges.
- Shadow key teams across the company to learn the core of Toptal’s operations and capabilities.
- Begin learning Toptal’s existing technology and product roadmap.
- Begin learning about Toptal’s existing technical operations and software development processes.
In the first month, expect to:
- Dive into Toptal’s codebase, pulling in engineers as needed to help you develop a solid foundational understanding of the state of Toptal’s technology across the product suite.
- Have numerous deep-dive sessions with the Founders, VP of Engineering, VP of Product, and Operations Leads to understand the company’s existing technical roadmap and strategy in granular detail.
- Work with the VP of Engineering to adapt and finalize the existing technical roadmap and strategy as you see fit.
- Communicate your technical roadmap and strategy to the entire Toptal organization, ensuring that everyone within both engineering and operations understands your strategy and logic.
- Once you’ve built an understanding of the current architecture and technical debt in Toptal’s codebase, work with the VP of Engineering and VP of Product to create simple, clear processes for ensuring agile operations, measuring velocity, and minimizing future technical debt.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Work with engineers and technical leaders across the organization to develop and implement solutions according to the company’s technical roadmap, operating according to agile best practices.
- Become deeply familiar with Toptal’s codebase and existing technical challenges.
- Mentor engineers across the organization to significantly uplevel the skill level and strategic approach of your team.
- Work with engineers on your team as an individual contributor as needed, focusing on the most difficult technical challenges in the business.
- Develop comprehensive, impact-oriented strategies to relentlessly minimize technical debt and improve engineering velocity.
- As you gain experience in the business and codebase, think strategically about which technical challenges the business will face in the coming years as it remains in hypergrowth.
- Continue to communicate your technical strategy and roadmap across the entire organization as it continues to evolve.
In your first six months, expect to:
- Minimized technical debt on the Toptal platform and created a simple, clear system to continuously minimize the accumulation of any further debt in the Toptal codebase.
- Completed substantial improvements to the velocity of all teams across the engineering organization.
- Built a culture where each engineer feels the impact of their work and knows that the time and energy they input into their work is exceeded by the results they get out.
- Furthered the technical and product roadmaps and scale your team to meet the growing needs of the Toptal business.
- Become the primary trusted authority on the state of technology across the entire Toptal organization, including current efforts, past challenges, and where the engineering team is headed next.
- Developed a plan to ensure that Toptal maintains its technological edge over the next decade of scaling.
- Previous experience as a CTO at a rapidly growing organization with at least 100 engineers, with proven experience in technical strategy at scale.
- Previous experience managing a team of at least 100 engineers.
- Previous experience defining and implementing agile software development best practices at scale.
- Previous experience in strategically minimizing technical debt within a massive codebase, prioritizing by future business impact.
- You must have a strong understanding of the various approaches to measuring velocity in software development, along with the pros and cons of each.
- You must have an exceptional eye for talent, and the ability to lead as a technical mentor.
- You must have excellent written and oral communication skills, including an exceptional ability to communicate technical strategy at the executive level.
- You must be a world-class technologist and individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
Note: This is a role that, while not open at the moment, highlights skill sets that are consistently in high demand within Toptal. We encourage interested applicants to apply - as a rapidly scaling company, we end up developing innovative new roles often. We regularly review the applicants for this position to find matches for these unique opportunities.