Client & Talent Support Team Lead
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As a Client & Talent Support Team Lead, you will help manage a forward-thinking, globally distributed, and fully remote team whose job is to provide exceptional customer service with a strong support-centered philosophy.
As a leader in the Toptal Support team, you will play a critical role in the operations, management, and growth of the function and team members. You will be responsible for executing and overseeing all team processes and policies in order to ensure Toptal provides the highest level of client and talent experience on a global scale. You will provide guidance and escalation support to all Toptal Support team members during your shift to ensure quality, high-level support across all timezones and hours. You will work closely with the Director of Business Operations to hire, train, and manage a rapidly-growing team and take ownership of team performance and development. You will work closely with both internal teams, our clients and talent to quickly and effectively resolve issues. You will have the opportunity to work in a cross-functional capacity with other teams to promote a culture of continuously improving client and talent services.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Work as both an individual contributor and manager of people to drive forward Client and Talent Support processes and initiatives.
- Take ownership of daily operations. Monitor team utilization to ensure exemplary and timely response, along with proper staffing, work allocation, and coverage.
- Conduct regular quality assurance reviews to identify areas for improvement and optimization.
- Assist with the development, execution, and training of Toptal Support policies, workflows, and training materials.
- Provide regular feedback, coaching, and professional development to your team. Act as a mentor and escalation point for Toptal Support Center team members.
- Lead the team in working to address and resolve client and talent issues, either through direct personal action or by promoting quick and results-driven collaboration with other relevant parties.
- Provide leadership for all Toptal Support team members during your shift by providing guidance, coaching and escalation as needed.
- Perform other tasks and special projects, as required.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Become familiar with the various platforms and systems Toptal utilizes to offer timely and exceptional client support.
- Complete customized onboarding to successfully navigate through the organization and understand the moving parts that make up the Toptal business model.
- Rapidly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision, with a focus on the state of the talent industry, the Future of Work, and the core messages important to Toptal.
In the first month, expect to:
- Complete our personalized Toptal Support training program, including mock calls and role-play scenarios.
- Familiarize yourself with the extensive support materials available to successfully support our clients and talent.
- Learn the key internal and external stakeholders and how clients can best be served by the different Toptal teams during their lifecycle.
- Have a solid understanding of the Toptal platform as it relates to clients and talent and the most frequent request processes.
- Effectively and independently handle simple client and talent inquiries.
- Gain comprehensive working knowledge of the client and talent experience from start to finish.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Be fully ramped up and integrated into the team.
- Have a strong understanding of Toptal’s issue resolution process and own the CSC portion of that process.
- Actively engage with the internal teams at Toptal and work collaboratively to review and resolve assigned support tasks.
- Learn to effectively balance tasks to ensure the highest level of efficiency and productivity.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Be fully confident acting as a primary point of contact for Toptal for internal stakeholders, clients and talent.
- Follow a solid workflow for accessing information via a variety of systems and support materials, and feel confident training new team members on these processes and materials.
- Exhibit a successful track record of hitting resolution SLAs.
In the first year, expect to:
- Become a productive, collaborative, and consistent contributor on the team.
- Actively participate in the onboarding, training, and support of new team members and assist in the development and maintenance of training materials.
- Ensure the Toptal client experience is consistently world-class throughout all phases of the client and talent lifecycle.
- Be seen as an expert related to the client and talent experience and issue resolution process.
- Continue to promote an environment of teamwork and collaboration.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience working in customer service over a variety of communication channels (email, Slack, and chat).
- Experience in leading and developing teams is required.
- Process-oriented. Must possess an interest and aptitude for building workflows that deliver exceptional client and talent support, supported by the use of technology.
- Must be a strong performer in high volume, high-pressure situations. Demonstrated ability to effectively work through tense or challenging situations.
- Collaborative. Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to build strong, customer-centric relationships and a robust team culture.
- Team-oriented. Promotes an environment of continuous improvement and a focus on consistently achieving results.
- Problem solver. Must be capable of uncovering issues and resolving them quickly and effectively.
- Time management. Must be able to work independently and manage time and resources efficiently; can successfully manage competing priorities.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.