Community Marketing Specialist
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
The Toptal community includes thousands of talent in more than 100 countries around the world, each representing the top 3% of practitioners in their fields. The Community team is responsible for developing programs that foster connections within our talent network, helping talent find a sense of belonging, share knowledge, and showcase and develop their skills. Through these programs, the Community team drives increased engagement and retention of the top talent in our network.
We are looking for a passionate and detail-oriented Community Marketing and Communications Specialist to showcase the benefits of being in our global talent network. In this role, you will find creative ways to highlight our programs and events internally to talent and act as a liaison between the Community and Marketing teams.
As part of your role, you will help to drive interest and engagement in both professional and social programs, as well as draw attention to key updates across various channels including:
- Talent newsletter and email blasts.
- Slack online community channels.
- Event website and promotional copy.
- Campaigns and stories from cross-functional teams including marketing and publications.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Community event and program marketing. Find creative ways to highlight and foster participation in programs/events offered to talent in the network. You must be truly community-minded to thrive in this role.
- Online platform communications. Share and showcase updates with talent in our Slack workspace to promote meaningful dialogue and program/event participation. Expect to handle intelligent and curious Q&A. Find creative ways to engage talent in regular chatter channels in the online community space, based on interests, skills, or geography.
- Email marketing. Review and update our existing talent newsletter template, structure, and process. Gather content from cross-functional teams and manage end-to-end creation of the monthly newsletter, as well as ad hoc segmented announcements.
- Liaison with internal stakeholders. Work with the Brand Marketing team to create design assets and website refreshes. Work with the Social Media team to promote community benefits. Get to know the talent in our network closely and support internal teams with requests to identify and feature talent in various ways.
- Other Community marketing support as required. For example, create various promotional slides or presentation decks for virtual community events.
- Tracking and measurement. Track and measure the impact of various marketing strategies, analyzing and iterating as required. Support various teams with consistently tracking talent featured in marketing.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Understand the core of Toptal’s service, the Toptal community, and its value proposition to both talent and clients.
- Learn the responsibilities and priorities of all Talent-facing teams at Toptal, with a focus on the roles and priorities of the Community and Talent Success teams.
- Become comfortable with the Community Slack workspace and channels.
In the first month, expect to:
- Understand the key goals of cross-functional partners and how Community can support them.
- Actively communicate with talents in our Slack workspace to promote meaningful dialogue and event/program participation.
- Assess existing Community marketing functions and create a strategy brief, including phases of items to update and elevate.
- Take over recurring newsletter and Slack announcement processes.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Implement the initial phase of your Community marketing strategy. Iterate as appropriate.
- Support the Head of Community with marketing assets for select program relaunches.
- Become comfortable searching for and communicating with talents in the network. Learn how to best support marketing and publications teams looking to feature talent in various ways.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Continue planning and launching new marketing strategy items from your brief / roadmap.
- Make recommendations and document processes as they evolve.
- Work closely with the Marketing team to ensure alignment with new program releases, as well as to drive the Community team’s quarterly planning process for marketing campaigns.
- Consistently deliver newsletters and Slack communications, leading to deeper engagement of talents in Community programs, events, and overall peer to peer engagement.
- Understand the overarching talent communications at Toptal and how our team can play it’s part to create the best talent experience possible.
In the first year, expect to:
- Track and measure the impact of your work against key company objectives.
- Act as a subject matter expert on Community marketing and all talent success communications.
- 3+ years in a professional marketing role.
- Past experience in community-building or marketing to a specific community of people is an asset. Highly regarded if the experience is with a remote or technology community.
- Strong marketing copywriting skills.
- Exceptional Communication Skills. Must be an outstanding communicator and possess a high aptitude for video chat, Slack, and email etiquette.
- Community-minded. Must put the talent first and always work to consider the talent perspective. Conduct research if required to capture the true value proposition of our programs and events.
- Relationship Management. Your marketing copy may result in many questions from talent, as well as multiple stakeholders internally. You should be ready to support and edit content at a moment’s notice. You will also be responsible to act as a liaison between Community and Brand Marketing.
- Resourcefulness. You should be a self-starter who thrives on the freedom and accountability that comes with being part of a distributed workforce. You are able to connect the dots of various ideas and stakeholders, and communicate the best messaging for all involved.
- Adaptability. Our processes and priorities may evolve rapidly. You need to be able to manage more than one project at a time, and adapt to change quickly.
- Passion. Our team’s goal is to offer an exceptional community space and elevated experiences. You have to be passionate about what we do, and be a strong advocate for driving increased engagement and trust in our network.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.