Continuous Improvement Analyst
Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Are you looking for an impactful role in Operations where you can dive into processes, find suboptimal operations and utilize your best judgment to recommend impactful process improvements? We are hiring a Continuous Improvement Analyst (CIA) for our Business Operations team who will be instrumental in our operations redesign, increasing our effectiveness and efficiency in the midst of our continued hyper-growth! Your work will have visibility throughout the company, and you will interact and communicate with executives and team leads to ensure that Toptal’s operations are guided by data.
You will work cross-functionally to build elite feedback and control systems for critical processes and data streams within Toptal operations. This person will work closely with Business and Data Analysts to confirm data end-users can understand and access reliable data by validating assumptions in our datasets with research, sampling, and analytics. The CIA will contribute to Toptal’s data-backed decisions by ensuring insights from data are routed to appropriate operational team members and leadership through alert systems and critical metrics.
This role is uniquely suited for implementing continuous process improvement, as these tasks require detailed knowledge of our operational playbooks. Success will be determined through an ability to expose subpar operations and hone in on the root cause.
This is a remote position. However, we require applicants to reside in-market. We are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
This role will be responsible for maintaining and growing an automated alert system known as the Operational Issues system. You will review and analyze function playbooks to find junctures in which control points or KPI’s could be implemented to assist in the monitoring of our business performance.
You will partner with Business Analytics to recommend KPI’s and establish reasonable thresholds. Select KPI performance will be monitored within the Operational Issue system against your recommended thresholds to trigger alerts. You will monitor these systems to ensure accurate routing and effective resolution on the root cause.
You will ensure quality across multiple functions by performing periodic formal QA audits. For specific datasets, you may assist other analysts with hygiene and assumption testing by sampling and validating qualitative or self-reported data. Your role will require you to access multiple systems and data sources to review the performance of our playbooks and adhere to company guidelines. The ongoing monitoring of the Operational Issue system, critical metrics, and playbooks will be expected for continual process improvement.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Rapidly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision.
- Shadow key teams across the company to learn the core of our operations and capabilities.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Review and assume responsibility over elements of the Operational Issue system expansion and ongoing maintenance.
- Cross-train with data teammates to understand the data structure behind the OI and task system.
- Review playbooks and work with individuals from multiple functions to develop a solid understanding of our operations.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Review Toptal’s feedback system; developing findings and recommendations to support optimization and remapping efforts.
- Research and propose at least one process improvement within our operations.
- Develop thresholds for two or more KPI’s to support healthy ongoing operations and processes.
In the first year, expect to:
- Be an expert in our SMB Sales, Enterprise Sales, Screening, and Matching Playbooks.
- Collaborate with Data and Business Analysts to ensure KPI’s correlate to measures of Business Performance with OI integration.
- Develop systems or composite metrics to be able to measure impact (usually effectiveness or efficiency) of your process improvements.
- Preferred job experience: 2+ years experience in either an Operations or Business Analyst role with elements of continuous improvement and business process architecture, or in an Internal Audit / Continuous Improvement / Business Operations role focused on optimizing operational functions of the company.
- Working knowledge of data visualization and querying (SQL). Tableau experience is preferred, but similar systems with transferable skill-sets (Looker, QlikView, Periscope, PowerBI, etc.) are acceptable. Any standard SQL platforms are acceptable.
- Ability to create BPMN 2.0 flowcharts.
- Effective research and evaluation skills to unlock insights from a wide variety of sources, including items like analytic dashboards, qualitative datasets, interviews, business process maps, etc.
- Experience conducting effective audits.
- Ability to remain independent while reviewing systems and demonstrating good judgment through optimal recommendations and solutions.
- Professional skepticism, you will need to challenge assumptions/calculations, communicate limitations, and flag blind spots.
- Ability to apply effective change management principles and consider the human element of change.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to avoid complexity and create simplified process enhancements.
- Ownership of work you’re doing and duties, taking responsibility for the quality, accuracy, and timeliness of work products. Superior attention to detail.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.