Content Strategy Lead
Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Are you a seasoned content strategist who is passionate about building high-quality digital products? Toptal’s Content Marketing Team is in need of a Lead Content Strategist that will craft a cohesive tone and voice for the Toptal brand across the public-facing Toptal site, as well as internal, talent, and client-facing platforms, mobile applications, and more. You will be our primary lead product content strategist and writer, and also manage a small and nimble team that will grow over time, reporting into the VP of Content Marketing & Marketing Operations.
You will focus in particular on Toptal’s core initiatives from the Product and Growth Marketing teams that require content strategy. Projects can include crafting new landing pages, enhancing existing features, rolling out new features and experiences, and helping to decide taxonomies and naming conventions for system labels/statuses.
For consideration, we require that applicants submit a PDF portfolio that showcases a variety of content work, including product/application (UI) interfaces you’ve led and created (e.g., a CRM, CMS, BPM, SaaS product with a web interface, etc.), as well as any other types of business content strategy work you would like to highlight.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Lead initiatives that drive the creative strategy of Toptal messaging across a variety of areas, including the Toptal site, platform, mobile apps, and more.
- Inspire creative teams, take smart risks, and foster great ideas and elegant UX solutions.
- Lead the overall workload of the product content team to ensure successful prioritization and completion of projects on time.
- Manage and contribute to general content strategy requests. These will be ad-hoc projects that can come from any area of the business, including sales, marketing, operations, etc.
- Work collaboratively with other teams as appropriate (Product & Growth Design, Product Management, Growth Product, etc.) on cross-functional initiatives.
- Define and apply copy standards across all Toptal products, ensuring that all users have a clear and consistent experience.
- Elevate the marketing language for our experiences to help position Toptal as a forward-thinking, unique, intelligent, innovative company ready to solve our clients’ business challenges.
- Build and lead the future of our Content Strategy team at Toptal.
In the first week, expect to:
- Meet the other members of the Content Strategy and Design teams.
- Begin to learn the high-level principles of Toptal’s brand voice and strategic messaging.
- Immerse yourself in our product initiatives in partnership with our Design and Content Strategy teams.
- Integrate yourself into the Content Marketing function.
In the first month, expect to:
- Meet other business partners across Toptal that you’ll partner with on projects.
- Dive into all product initiatives with your team and begin to oversee and improve our work.
- Clarify and pressure-test different processes and workflows you’ll use when collaborating with other functions.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Become fully integrated into Toptal.
- Have finished several major successful initiatives.
- Strategize a quarterly roadmap for future projects and socialize with all relevant stakeholders.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Strategize how to scale the work you do as Toptal grows.
- Deliver exceptional, high-quality content for the launch of a new app and/or other exciting product features and enhancements.
- 10+ years experience in content strategy, and at least 3+ years managing direct reports.
- Well-versed with developing high-quality digital products and have a clear point of view on how specific content decisions can make or break a user experience.
- A strong creative mind and the power to connect business strategies to content strategy.
- Ability to think about and write content focused on nuanced technical concepts relevant to development, design, finance, and project/product management. Technical writing experience is preferred, but not required.
- Experience working with stakeholders to understand detailed requirements and build copy flows for complete user experiences that exceed the needs and vision of business partners.
- Exceptional clarity of thought in communication and analysis, and the power to explain complex user experiences in simple terms.
- A strong knack for communication strategy and an eye for the long-term scalability of content decisions.
- Outstanding creativity and the capability to visualize strategic product solutions and bring them to life with messaging.
- A strong understanding of the components of compelling, action-inducing communications. You will need to write marketing headlines that grab attention and make people think about Toptal in an exciting way.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, perfect grammar, a command of the English language, as well as an eagle eye to catch minutia errors or inconsistencies in our work.
- Experience as a SaaS product manager is a plus, but not required.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.