Toptal is a network of the world’s top 3% of software engineering, design, and finance talent – available on demand to help companies accelerate, adapt, and scale. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun [see this video from The Huffington Post]. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
If you’re not in the job market, you’re exactly the type of person we’re looking for.
As Toptal’s Corporate Controller, you will be responsible for leading the global accounting and controls function, defining and elevating accounting policies, maintaining fiscal records, building and overseeing global financial infrastructure, and preparing financial reports in compliance with overall reporting requirements and operational procedures.
You will lead a team of accounting professionals responsible for the general ledger, tax, payroll, accounts payable and receivable, financial reporting, and external audit relationships. You will be expected to provide leadership and vision for scaling the team and our financial infrastructure to keep up with the demands of Toptal’s high-growth business. As part of Toptal’s management team, you will work with all departments to provide data and insights to help Toptal’s team leaders make effective decisions.
The ideal candidate will relish the opportunity to build a strong accounting function from infancy to maturity. It is imperative that this person be proactive, hands-on, and collaborative, while maintaining an entrepreneurial spirit. This is a newly created position and will report to Toptal’s VP of Finance.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere.
- Manage global accounting and finance operations, including revenue recognition, Payroll, AP & AR, and GL.
- Oversee and execute all accounting activities to include accurate and timely reporting of Toptal’s financials. Ensure the close process is in accordance with US GAAP standards, regulatory guidelines, and Toptal procedure.
- Build and mentor a world-class accounting organization.
- Manage global tax and ensure compliance with all local, state, and federal tax requirements and filings.
- Partner with FP&A experts to manage Toptal’s budget and financial matrix.
- Maintain and continue to improve upon current internal controls, policies, and infrastructure to scale with the business.
- Partner with internal teams to support deals and partnerships.
- Review contracts for all financial and accounting implications to the transactions.
- Manage and implement business financial systems.
- Be in constant communication with team members via Skype.
- 8+ years of experience, including a proven, extensive track record of leadership and individual contributor experience in managing finances, accounts payable, payroll, and operational processes.
- B.A. or B.S. in Finance or Accounting. CPA certification is preferred.
- Experience as a Corporate Controller at a public company is a must.
- Experience leading an audit from start to finish.
- Exceptional knowledge of Excel. You know and use all best practices, your models are efficient, scalable, and intuitive, and you break down complex topics elegantly and intelligently.
- You must have excellent verbal and written communication skills and be able to rapidly collaborate while explaining complex concepts clearly and directly.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- Breanden has been an engineer, founder, CTO, and consultant in industries ranging from aerospace to financial services to high tech. He has a BSE in Chemical Engineering from Princeton University, where he was previously asked to speak at TEDxPrincetonU, giving a talk on time optimization and resource management. As a Toptal co-founder, Breanden frequently writes about scaling a hyper-growth and distributed company, and he has been featured on the blog of Tim Ferriss, The Huffington Post, and many others. Having been on both sides of the hiring equation as an engineer and team lead, Breanden combines his technical expertise and management experience to ensure that clients, developers, and team members at Toptal continually strive for excellence as the company rapidly scales.