Data Insights Researcher
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Toptal is looking for a Data Insights Researcher to join our Market Insights team. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of independently running end-to-end marketing data analytics projects that leverage statistics, machine learning, and data visualization.
This individual will focus on building datasets via surveys and acquiring data from external partners. You will be responsible for building a deep understanding of the data, generating findings via a mix of statistical, analytical, or ML-focused exploration. Our ideal candidate has experience in a combination of SQL, Python, or other data analysis tools, and has worked in client-facing roles to communicate their insights, influence business decisions, and drive quantifiable results.
You must possess excellent analytics capabilities as well as outstanding business acumen. This role requires a self-starter attitude, comfort working in fast-paced environments, with rigorous analytical skills and attention to detail. You’ll be focused on acquiring or building data sets, finding strategic insights, and working with the broader Market Insights team to help scale Toptal via those insights.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Partner with the Marketing leadership team to understand business questions that can be answered through market research, external data sets, or statistical analysis.
- Own end-to-end execution of analysis for research requests and projects.
- Lead analysis of data sets via statistical models, machine learning, data visualization, or other methodologies to understand users/customers, find patterns, and ultimately answer broader business questions.
- Present and communicate findings to your colleagues on the Market Insights team and broader Marketing function.
- Collaborate directly with business stakeholders to understand their needs and then develop plans and projects to address those needs.
- Facilitate workshops and brainstorm with team members to communicate findings. Convert those findings into projects that have measurable business impact.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Become acquainted with the teams, product, and business operations.
- Familiarize yourself with research projects already conducted.
In the first month, expect to:
- Dive into the data! Understand what data is available and how it has been collected and used in the past.
- Begin meaningfully contributing to existing research projects by helping with analysis tasks.
- Get familiar with Toptal’s Talent and Client Marketing Strategies, and Content projects and processes.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Have a well-defined roadmap of analytics projects that you are collaborating on.
- Start establishing yourself as the go-to resource for understanding datasets related to Toptal’s work, and structuring business problems as analytical explorations via those datasets.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Lead analytics projects that help marketing and broader stakeholders across Toptal.
- Develop an understanding of Toptal’s clients, talent personas, customer journeys, and performance metrics. Use this understanding to recommend new analysis projects that will yield actionable recommendations for Toptal.
In the first year, expect to:
- Confirm the business impact of your analytics projects.
- Continue proposing new projects and initiatives to further scale your and the broader Market Insights team’s impact.
- 5+ years of experience in marketing data science and analytics.
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Analytics, Computer Science, Business, or a related field.
- Experience running end-to-end data analytics projects. This includes requirements gathering, data collection, data cleaning, analysis, and modeling.
- Extensive project experience, with the ability to show how your analytical work translated to client or business success in prior roles.
- Comfort analyzing data using Python, R, SQL, or other technologies.
- Experience with data visualization tools (e.g., Tableau, Power BI, Looker).
- Familiarity with Google BigQuery or similar cloud-based technologies.
- Demonstrated analytical rigor. You must know how to quantitatively analyze research reports.
- You must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience with survey design is a plus.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.