Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
At Toptal, we measure everything and always rely on data to guide all of our initiatives, including both our long-term strategy and our day-to-day operations. As a Data Scientist on our Analytics Team, you will be working with our cross-functional team to model complex problems, discover actionable business insights, and identify high-impact opportunities. You will be part of a high-energy, fast-paced team responsible for supporting initiatives and operations across the company.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. All communication and resumes must be submitted in English.
We have freedom to choose the best tool for the job. That’s why:
- Our infrastructure is in Google Cloud Platform,
- For research we leverage both Python and R,
- Our ETL pipelines and production models are in Python and Scala.
The ultimate goal is solving real business problems. We work on problems that deeply affect the operation of our business. This ranges from predictive models, controlling and optimizing the client flow, and other very open-ended questions. For example, our stakeholders may ask if it is feasible to pursue a certain business direction and, if so, what are the implications on business processes and the costs of moving to that solution.
- Use statistical, algorithmic, data mining, and visualization techniques to model complex problems, identify opportunities, discover solutions, and deliver actionable business insights.
- Own your projects and use this autonomy to find creative and innovative ways of solving problems and delivering solutions.
- Handle both parts of the Research & Development process, including clean, rigorous implementations of devised models inside our Analytics system.
- Be persistent, focused, and disciplined when it comes to finishing your work. At Toptal we always drive research from start to finish - we don’t get distracted; we don’t leave anything unfinished.
- Communicate data-driven insights and recommendations to key stakeholders.
- Be in constant communication with team members and other relevant parties and convey results efficiently and clearly via Slack.
- A strong background in advanced mathematics, in particular in probability theory and statistics, data mining, and machine learning.
- You must be able to think critically, to look at the big picture and spot what is missing, taking advantage of it to propose improvements and deliver business insights.
- 4+ years of professional experience in data science, doing exploratory data analysis, testing hypothesis, and building predictive models.
- Ability to quickly and accurately understand complex new concepts.
- Proficiency in a programming language of your own choice (R, Python, Matlab, etc.), and previous experience efficiently conducting research and creating ad hoc reports.
- An excellent ability to learn new programming languages quickly and effectively.
- Big pluses include: strong experience managing or shipping out a product, managing a team, and working on open source projects.
- Working experience with Airflow and Dimensional Modeling is a plus.
- Be excited about collaborating daily with your team and other groups while working via a distributed model.
- Be eager to help your teammates, share your knowledge with them, and learn from them.
- Be open to receiving constructive feedback.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
For Toptal Use Only: #LI-DNI
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- As Toptal's VP of Engineering, Bozhidar leads one of the world's largest fully distributed engineering organizations, ensuring the growth and quality of Toptal's technical operations, infrastructure, recruiting, and training in a 100% remote environment. Bozhidar is an avid open source contributor, and prior to joining Toptal, was a top 50 overall GitHub contributor and Ruby contributor, and the #1 Emacs package contributor. He is an Emacs core committer and the author of the top Ruby lint tool, the top Clojure IDE, and the Ruby, Rails, and Clojure style guides. Bozhidar is also a frequent conference speaker, technical author, and former CTO of a financial trading platform. Bozhidar has an MA in Computer Science from the Technical University of Sofia.