Toptal is a network of the world’s top 3% of software engineering, design, and finance talent – available on demand to help companies accelerate, adapt, and scale. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun [see this video from The Huffington Post]. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
If you’re not in the job market, you’re exactly the type of person we’re looking for.
At Toptal, we measure everything and always rely on data to guide all of our initiatives, including both our long-term strategy and our day-to-day operations. As a Data Scientist on our Sales Team, you will be working with our operations, growth, and analytics teams to discover actionable business insights, identify high-impact opportunities, and provide our sales team with the data they need to excel. You will be part of a high-energy, fast-paced team responsible for maximizing the revenue growth of the company.
Toptal prides itself on being a data-driven organization. This affects everything from our Product decisions to our Operational processes. With the ever-increasing growth of our organization and the amount of data available to us, it is important that we have team members dedicated to answering hard problems and interpreting data in a way that is actionable for the team.
Tasks may involve analysis of lead quality, pinpointing bottlenecks in our funnel or building dashboards - allowing sales team members to monitor their own progress and maximize their day-to-day efforts.
This task would report to our VP of Sales but would require everyday interactions with many departments of the organization, including Talent Operations, Product, Analytics, and Growth.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere.
- Use statistical, algorithmic, data mining, and visualization techniques to model complex problems, identify opportunities, discover solutions, and deliver actionable business insights.
- Own your projects and use this autonomy to find creative and innovative ways of solving problems and delivering solutions.
- Participate in team calls to fully understand the business side of Toptal and the hurdles or concerns we encounter.
- Take initiative to investigate and volunteer solutions based on that understanding.
- Be persistent, focused, and disciplined when it comes to finishing your work. At Toptal, we always drive research from start to finish - we don’t get distracted; we don’t leave anything unfinished.
- Clearly understand the question being asked or the problem at hand.
- Communicate data-driven insights and recommendations to key stakeholders - ensure that answers/solutions are both clear and usable.
- Be in constant communication with team members and other relevant parties and convey results efficiently and clearly via Slack.
- Must be available to work during US business hours.
- A strong background in advanced mathematics (probability theory, statistics, etc), data mining, and business analysis.
- You must be able to think critically, to look at the big picture and spot what is missing, taking advantage of it to propose improvements and deliver business insights.
- 4+ years of experience in data science and business intelligence or in quantitative academic research, doing exploratory data analysis, testing hypothesis, and building predictive models.
- Ability to quickly and accurately understand complex new concepts.
- Proficiency in a programming language of your own choice (R, Python, etc.), and previous experience efficiently conducting research and creating ad hoc reports.
- Proficiency in data visualization tools (Tableau, Microsoft Power BI, QlikView, etc).
- An excellent ability to learn new programming languages quickly and effectively.
- Be excited about collaborating daily with your team and other groups while working via a distributed model.
- Be eager to help your teammates, share your knowledge with them, and learn from them.
- Be open to receiving constructive feedback.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- As Toptal's VP of Sales, Mark ensures Toptal's clients always enjoy on-demand, white-glove service for their talent needs. As a former Linux HPC engineer and technical sales lead, Mark takes an analytical, results-driven approach to building the sales teams, infrastructure, and processes necessary to both maintain quality, customized client relationships at scale and to ensure that new clients are seamlessly onboarded to the Toptal service. Mark has a BSE in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science.