Toptal is a network of the world’s top 3% of software engineering, design, and finance talent – available on demand to help companies accelerate, adapt, and scale. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun [see this video from The Huffington Post]. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
If you’re not in the job market, you’re exactly the type of person we’re looking for.
As a Desktop Application Developer, you’ll be working on various desktop applications that we’ve developed; one of these applications is Top Tracker - the most innovative and flexible time-tracking software in the world.
We use C++ as our main language for creating desktop applications. While being powerful and flexible, it allows us to control the applications at the deepest level possible. We’re looking for talented C++ developers to further improve and enhance our desktop products.
We’re aiming to support as many different platforms (OS X, Windows & GNU/Linux) as possible, so most of the code we write is cross-platform. Because of this, we use various platform-agnostic frameworks in our work. The one we use most extensively is Qt. Not only does it allow us to create beautiful and responsive GUI but it also makes it much easier to write portable system-interacting code with minimal effort.
Our desktop team spans the full stack of development, from digging into system API calls to perfecting the GUI.
We don’t cut corners, and we don’t make compromises—we create beautifully architected desktop apps that are polished, fast, well-tested, and a joy to use.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere.
- Build cross-platform desktop client features and infrastructure.
- Full life cycle development of software products.
- Identify bottlenecks and bugs and devise elegant solutions.
- Making strategic technical decisions related to new products and functionalities.
- Onboarding and mentoring new team members.
- You must have a solid grasp of object-oriented programming, automated software testing, databases, development, and testing methodologies.
- Background in cross-platform application development.
- Solid understanding of Qt 5.
- Good in desktop development on, at least, one of the following platforms: Windows 7+, OS X 10.8+, Linux (Ubuntu 12.04+, Fedora 22+) and deep knowledge of underlying native API (WinAPI, Cocoa/Carbon, X11, GTK).
- Great experience with, at least, one of the most common compiler toolsets (GCC, CLang, Visual C) is a must.
- Substantial experience in C++11/14.
- Ability to come up with simple solutions without hacking and overcomplicating.
- Take smart risks and champion new ideas.
- Be comfortable with iterative and incremental development.
- Be willing to help your teammates, share your knowledge with them, and learn from them
- Be open to receiving feedback.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- With multiple degrees in Computer Science, Bozhidar is a hacker obsessed with Ruby, Clojure, and Emacs. He loves solving challenging problems and building neat stuff. He's a serial open source contributor, a frequent speaker at conferences, and an avid technical blogger. At Toptal, Bozhidar is dedicated to building a world-class development team and creating superb products for all Toptal clients, developers, and team members.
- Hector has led product organizations at companies of all sizes, from 20-person startups to 100K+ employee corporations, spearheading the development of new company-defining products from concept to launch as well as significantly growing existing products. He has an Electrical Engineering & Computer Science degree from UC Berkeley and began his career in engineering roles at Cisco and Veraz Networks before transitioning into lead product positions at Wyse Technologies, Dell, Loggly, and now Toptal.
- Alexander started as a senior developer at NetCracker Technology Corp. before moving to a technical manager position, leading teams of up to 10 developers. He then switched his focus to start-ups, and, as the technical co-founder, implemented several projects from scratch. For a year he was employed as CTO at glavskidka.ru, where he was involved in both business processes and development, while building the development team and the product from the ground up. At Toptal, Alexander combines his experience in both corporate and start-up environments to lead internal technological development. Alexander has a MS in Applied Mathematics and Physics from the Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology and does further research in Computer-Human Interaction while completing a PhD at the Institute of Control Sciences of RAS.