Director of Business Operations - Technical Systems
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Toptal is a hypergrowth organization, which means that our core teams and operations infrastructure must constantly be evolving to sustain and further this growth. As a Director of Business Operations at Toptal, you will work on cross-functional initiatives across the company to help build strategic direction, execution frameworks, process automation and workflow enhancements, KPIs, and team structures necessary to drive Toptal’s growth. You will be trusted to tackle challenging and impactful problems at Toptal, working directly with the executives to achieve success.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
As a member of the Business Operations Team, you will develop, enhance and assume ownership of at least two systems that provide critical operational capabilities at Toptal, and have opportunities to support additional ad hoc business initiatives designed to increase operational capabilities, address issues and provide for organizational structure.
Initially, you will work alongside our Product and Engineering teams, to configure and integrate a third party business tools system designed to enhance our company’s ability to recommend and manage operational tools and systems we leverage at Toptal. Additionally, you will be responsible for enhancing the configurations associated with our Operational Issues alert and escalation system - ensuring that the company meets our operational obligations that are addressed by the appropriate levels of authority.
In this role, you will partner with executives and other senior leaders to achieve successful outcomes through these initiatives that result in enhanced infrastructure and processes. Your ability to employ excellent project management attributes and interface and collaborate with business stakeholders, Product and Engineering teams will be key to success.
Once systems are implemented, you will develop and ensure successful processes and provide ongoing management, monitoring and escalation support.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Rapidly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision.
- Shadow business analysts across the company to learn the core of Toptal’s operations, goals and measurable outcomes.
In the first month, expect to:
- Undergo a deeper training and mentorship period with Toptal’s Operation Team, including Toptal’s CAO and existing Directors of Operations.
- Review existing system configurations and project work accomplished to date.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Interview and interface with stakeholders to develop business requirements.
- Gain a thorough understanding of the Toptal operational issues alert system and manage escalation processes under the current configuration.
- Review and expand upon planning related to initial work products related to tools management.
- Create a strong working relationship with the Product and Engineering teams - ensuring clear roles and responsibilities.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Complete MVP customization of the tools management system including associated training, policies and processes.
- Enhanced metrics utilized to monitor and trigger issues related to operational performance.
In the first year, expect to:
- Overhauled the Operational Issues system and fully documented associated logic.
- Iterated upon Tools Management system MVP and manage under stabilized system, ensuring its proper use.
- 8+ years combined business operations, project management, tools/system management.
- At least 2 years managing projects that have close dependencies and management in collaboration with Product and Engineering teams.
- Operations experience with responsibility for outcomes in a fast-paced, multi-function environment.
- Experience developing KPIs and associated targets and acceptable thresholds.
- Creative problem solver with proven results in improving processes in an operations capacity.
- Ability to utilize stakeholder input to create operational monitoring systems to ensure optimized processes and compliance.
- Proven ability to develop creative solutions that result in measurable transformative outcomes that reach beyond incremental improvements.
- Strong collaboration skills and demonstrated ability to influence and execute effectively in a cross-functional environment.
- Impeccable organization skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to apply effective change management principles and consider the human element of change.
- A knack for being able to convey complex information and recommendations in a clear, logical, understandable manner to stakeholders at executive levels.
- Excellent presentation, written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be a high integrity, team player with flexibility to meet the demands of changing business priorities.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.