Director of Content Strategy
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Toptal’s Content Strategy Team is looking for a Director of Content Strategy to lead our product, growth, and sales content initiatives and establish the voice and tone across the Toptal site, internal talent and client platforms, mobile applications, sales collateral, content marketing materials, and more. You will manage a nimble team of writers, content strategists, and editors that will grow over time.
You will focus on core initiatives from the Product and Growth Marketing teams, Marketing Strategy, and Revenue and provide support to Talent and Brand Experience. Projects can include developing new landing pages, enhancing existing features, rolling out new features and experiences, and helping to decide taxonomies and naming conventions for system labels/statuses; developing one-pagers, presentations, or collateral; drafting and publishing eBooks and white papers; overseeing client case studies; providing content strategy for campaigns; and a host of other content-driven initiatives.
For consideration, we require that applicants submit a PDF portfolio that showcases a variety of content work you’ve led or created, including product/application (UI) interfaces, landing pages, eBooks, white papers, one-pagers, client case studies, research reports, or any other types of business content strategy or content marketing work you would like to highlight.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Lead content initiatives across the Toptal site, internal talent and client platforms, mobile apps, and more.
- Establish and institute copy standards across all Toptal products and digital surfaces, ensuring a clear and consistent experience.
- Create and publish data-driven and thoroughly researched content marketing pieces to support broader marketing strategies.
- Manage and contribute to ad-hoc projects that can come from any area of the business, including sales, marketing, operations, etc.
- Lead the overall workload of the content team to ensure successful prioritization and completion of projects on time.
- Inspire creative teams, take smart risks, and foster innovative ideas.
- Work collaboratively with other teams as appropriate (Product & Growth Design, Product Management, Growth Product, Sales, etc.) on cross-functional initiatives.
- Review and put a critical eye to all content that flows through your team of writers, strategists, and editors to ensure it aligns with Toptal style.
- Elevate copy to help position Toptal as a forward-thinking, unique, intelligent, innovative company ready to solve our clients’ business challenges.
- Build and lead the future of our Content Strategy team at Toptal.
In the first week, expect to:
- Meet the other members of the Content Strategy and Design teams.
- Begin to learn the high-level principles of Toptal’s brand voice and strategic messaging.
- Immerse yourself in our product initiatives in partnership with our Design and Content Strategy teams.
- Integrate yourself into the Content Marketing function.
In the first month, expect to:
- Meet other business partners across Toptal that you’ll partner with on projects.
- Dive into all product initiatives with your team and begin to oversee work.
- Clarify and pressure-test different processes and workflows you’ll use when collaborating with other functions.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Become fully integrated into Toptal.
- Have finished several successful initiatives.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Strategize how to scale the work you do as Toptal grows.
- Deliver exceptional, high-quality content for the launch of a new app and/or other exciting product features and enhancements.
In the first year, expect to:
- Scale the team and work output of the Content Strategy Team.
- Demonstrate the successful implementation and execution of several new growth strategies and tactics.
- Have garnered the trust of the Executive and Senior Leadership Team in your ability to lead the Content Strategy function for the long term.
- 10+ years experience in content strategy, and at least 3+ years managing direct reports.
- Well-versed with developing high-quality digital products and have a clear point of view on how specific content decisions can make or break a user experience.
- A strong creative mind and the power to connect business strategies to content strategy.
- Ability to think about and write content-focused on nuanced technical concepts relevant to development, design, finance, and project/product management. Technical writing experience is preferred, but not required.
- Experience working with stakeholders to understand detailed requirements and build copy flows for complete user experiences that exceed the vision of business partners.
- Exceptional clarity of thought in communication and analysis, and the power to explain complex user experiences in simple terms.
- A strong knack for communication strategy and an eye for the long-term scalability of content decisions.
- Outstanding creativity and the capability to visualize strategic product solutions and bring them to life with messaging.
- A strong understanding of the components of compelling, action-inducing communications.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, perfect grammar, a command of the English language, as well as an eagle eye to catch errors or inconsistencies in our work.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.