Director of Account Management, SMB
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
The Director of Account Management, SMB will bring strategic execution to Toptal’s SMB and Mid-Market sales team. World-class relationship management and account support is a critical force of our unprecedented growth, and we are looking for someone to guide, grow and enhance the team while promoting Toptal’s customer-centric strategy. You will need to be an exceptionally creative and well-organized leader of leaders with a track record of building and scaling high-performing sales functions supporting SMB and Mid-Market business in the services space. Leaders at Toptal have a keen attention to detail, are driven, have an ability to critically think through problems, all while inspiring their teams.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere in the United States. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
This role will lead the division responsible for growing Toptal’s SMB and Mid-Market revenue and ensuring a high degree of client satisfaction. You will execute a strategy to efficiently and effectively acquire and service a large total addressable market composed of thousands of potential clients around the world. By monitoring, assessing, and responding to key metric results, you will ensure that the team is performing at optimum levels and improving effectiveness and efficiency. You will closely watch revenue growth, client satisfaction, and retention among other key indicators. You’ll have the opportunity to roll your sleeves up and help your Team Leads with all aspects of their team’s development and growing their books of business, develop strategies for client engagement, and coach them to identify and close new opportunities in their accounts. Once able, periodic travel could be required to build senior-level relationships with our most strategic clients and serve as a Toptal representative at conferences and regional events.
Internally, this position will work seamlessly with leadership from Talent Operations and Client Experience to support a team-based approach to providing best-in-class relationship management. You are encouraged to think creatively while providing vital analytics to support your strategic approach to other business leaders within Toptal.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal leadership.
- Learn Toptal’s model, our team members, and our story.
- Become acquainted with the cross-functional teams that you will be working closely alongside.
In the first month, expect to:
- Complete our personalized sales training program, and gain an understanding of who our clients are and why they choose Toptal.
- Complete Toptal’s vertical-specific training, familiarizing yourself with the full range of offerings we make available to our clients.
- Have met with every member of your account management team on a 1:1 basis.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Develop your strategy to position relationship management as a growth source for SMB with input from other Senior Leadership Team members within SMB and Growth, Talent Operations, and Product.
- Develop and execute a plan for scaling the team structure and goals, as well as the interviewing standards and hiring plans needed to achieve these goals.
- In partnership with sales enablement and operations, formulate account management playbooks, revise planning activities, establish key revenue drivers with supporting metrics to drive impact, and establish winning client engagement strategies.
- Mentor, coach, and train members of your team to deliver results and execute the strategy which you have set. Set goals for individuals within Relationship and Account Management.
- Deliver bi-weekly, detailed presentations to cross-departmental business partners covering metrics, key takeaways, and action plans based on data analysis.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Establish a strong operating framework to carry out your crafted strategy.
- Regularly assess team performance against previously determined Key Performance Indicators and utilize sales enablement and operations to continuously improve.
- Continue to build, coach, and mentor team members guiding them to achieve greater success.
In the first year, expect to:
- Have an optimized, well-run relationship management function that maximizes the potential of Toptal’s SMB and Mid-Market accounts in a profitable way.
- Continue to drive a culture of high performance, continuous improvement, and record-breaking results.
- Experienced. You have led leaders and teams of sales professionals and successfully coached individuals on how to coach standard methodologies in account management and relationship-building with small and mid-size businesses and hyper-growth companies, resulting in increased revenue and positive team morale.
- Pioneer. You don’t join companies to ride a wave, you show up to make an impact and leave your mark. Outstanding contributors thrive at Toptal, and we eliminate all barriers so you can “lead from the front” to help us achieve shared goals and win as one.
- Critical thinker. You have strong analytical and problem resolution skills with a demonstrated ability to develop and support creative solutions rooted in data.
- Resourceful. You are a growth-driver, self-starter, and are passionate about innovation. You flourish when you have freedom and accountability to lead a business unit under the strategy you set.
- Proactive. You understand our mission and will do the work required to drive us to that goal, without being told. You are not reactive.
- Excellent communicator. Communication is the lifeline of your relationships both internal and external to Toptal, and the remote nature of our company makes this attribute essential.
- Collaborator. Nothing we do is done in isolation. Your success depends on your ability to work as a team both within Toptal and externally with our clients.
For Toptal Use Only: #LI-KS1 #LI-REMOTE #ustech #natechcities