Director of Analytics
Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As the Director of Analytics, you will lead and develop advanced analytic capabilities to provide in-depth business insights and accelerate Toptal’s data-driven decision making.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- This person will own the expansion and ongoing leadership of an exceptional analytics function supporting the entire Toptal business. Initial responsibilities will include establishing a proactive and data-obsessed team aligned with the strategic business needs of key partners.
- Provide strong mentorship and direction of a team tasked with the development and execution of a comprehensive analytics strategy.
- Your team will provide timely and robust insights for decision-making that drive critical business decisions and support Toptal’s aggressive growth plans.
- It will be your job to ensure that the technical requirements to support the analytics function aligns with our overall technical vision and roadmap.
- You will work in an entirely distributed company and help define a new space while learning how an organization is built from the ground up.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Rapidly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision.
- Shadow key teams across the company to learn the core of Toptal’s operations and capabilities.
In the first month, expect to:
- Complete a current state assessment.
- Define processes that govern the intake and prioritization of business requests, estimating, and ensure accurate and timely completion of work in progress.
- Catalog and communicate what is available to the business in the current state.
- Stabilize ETL flows. Validate that the datastore is well architected and makes sense from a business-use perspective.
- Evaluate current ad-hoc reporting capabilities and recommend future state to ensure an agile response.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Collaborate with partners to define the purpose and long term vision of what the Analytics Team serves in Toptal.
- Recommend, gain agreement, and restructure the Analytics Teams to ensure efficient execution.
- Clearly define what blend of data vision and exploration versus serving the functional needs is appropriate.
- Provide leadership and direction to the team overhaul existing technologies that build a scalable, robust ETL layer and a near-real-time data store that supports both the business and important metric reporting.
- Dig into the data to validate designs, performance, data granularity, data recency, and more. You will not just make high-level recommendations.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Develop advanced analytics capabilities by providing a vision for how data science and machine learning capabilities can propel our business forward.
- Rapidly gain an understanding of the business requirements and design roadmaps that respond to Toptal’s short and long-term strategic direction.
- Provide role transparency to the existing team and determine and close gaps that will drive future hiring decisions.
- Hire and retain the best team that can propel the Analytics vision forward.
In the first year, expect to:
- Grow the team to aid the aggressive growth trajectory that Toptal has planned.
- Demonstrated capability in building and leading an analytics organization supporting multiple teams.
- Self-starter who can be hands-on and can analyze, interpret, and derive insights into business reports, analytic models, and data sources.
- Ability to learn business processes at a near-native level to understand the role that analytics plays in supporting the business.
- Ability to interpret business requirements into data structures, lineage(business purpose), and metadata required.
- Working knowledge of master data management.
- Demonstrated experience with modern data technologies including, columnar data structures, unstructured data, NoSQL, machine learning, and cognitive.
- Knowledge of foundational BI concepts such as 3NF, denormalization, OLAP, and slowly changing dimensions.
- Exposure to python, pandas, and familiarity with open-source BI tools.
- Experience working with Agile Project Management methodologies.
- Experience mentoring and growing individuals in analytics, data affluence, and reporting.
- Ability to negotiate competing priorities in the business.
- Ability to build relationships at an executive level.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here to tell other people what to do.