Director of Brand Marketing
Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As Toptal’s Director of Brand Marketing, you will be essential in building a world-class brand marketing function to drive awareness of Toptal and all we have to offer. You’ll collaborate with the VP of Brand Marketing to build and execute a company brand strategy and will work with key partners, including PR, Events, Design, Content, Enterprise, and Growth, to improve our communications and tactical plans to achieve our marketing goals. You should have experience in traditional 360 brand marketing and advertising, as well as the means to think outside of the box build outstanding, guerilla, experiential, and digital experiences. You’ll become the brand expert helping teams bring the brand to life through our strategies, messaging, brand guidelines, experiences, etc.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Collaborate with fast-paced teams across Toptal to develop and execute marketing strategies and campaigns.
- Provide thought leadership, strategic insight, and clear communication (written and verbal) to peers and partners.
- Develop the processes, guidelines, and quality standards needed to execute and scale the production of world-class content and campaigns.
- Work with designers, writers, and developers to deliver top-quality marketing tactics, landing pages, and other tangible deliverables.
- Partner with Sales teams to define opportunities to help solve our client’s business challenges and build content that positions Toptal as the leader in the “Future of Work” space.
- Develop messaging frameworks to craft our priority messages for our key audiences: Enterprise and SMB clients, talent networks, media, etc.
- Build an outstanding team that scales to match Toptal’s rapid growth.
In the first week, expect to:
- Start to meet with the team leads from all Brand Marketing teams.
- Understand the fundamentals of Toptal and what sets us apart.
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal and the Brand team by gaining an understanding of our brand strategy, guidelines, messaging, and governance processes.
- Gain a deep understanding of the roles and priorities of the team and key partners.
In the first month, expect to:
- Meet with other SLT (senior leadership team) peers and Executive leads to get an overview of our full business, team structures, and opportunities.
- Conduct a competitive analysis to understand our strategic white space and opportunities to stand out.
- Work with your manager to analyze and understand the function’s critical metrics, along with how these are monitored and impacted.
- Begin to kick-off initiatives to help drive our marketing objectives, by developing creative briefs and briefing creative and production teams accordingly.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Work closely with other teams across the company (PR, Events, Growth, Enterprise, SMB, etc.) to establish new long-term initiatives to scale the impact of all teams.
- Launch your first initiative to drive recognition of Toptal with the Enterprise audience and brainstorm unique initiatives and ideas to break through with the Enterprise and SMB audiences.
- Partner with the VP of Brand Marketing to audit marketing and sales communications to determine what’s on or off-brand, and begin updating off-brand tactics as needed.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Be fully immersed and familiar with all Toptal processes and tools.
- Be recognized as a brand leader within the organization, and someone teams go to for input and mentorship on branding.
- Launch a brand tracking study to measure and analyze our awareness and perception over time with our target audiences.
In the first year, expect to:
- Run and continuously scale full-fledged communications/campaigns, consistently working to improve the quality and impact of each publication.
- Be seen as an authority at the company for all things related to the brand, including the team’s structure, processes, resources, meaningful metrics, and initiatives.
- A strong professional background as part of a successful marketing team, including direct experience developing and executing marketing strategies, communications plans, and 360 campaign creation (including video, OOH/print, email, events, websites, digital, social, etc.).
- Experience as a strategic planner or strategist is helpful.
- Agency experience working with multiple clients is a plus.
- Experience delivering marketing materials (case studies, white papers, etc.) for B2B professional services is helpful.
- A self-starter with initiative and drive, capable of executing rapidly with limited strategic direction is crucial.
- An exceptional eye for quality and an unwillingness to compromise on the quality of both design and messaging.
- Experience with the nuances of different forms of marketing tactics and how to adapt messaging and design to each form.
- Extremely motivated by the prospect of building a high-performing marketing function that scales with Toptal over time.
- Capability to work under pressure and adhere to tight deadlines while never sacrificing quality.
- Ability to establish processes in a fast-growing company with a focus on execution and quality.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work well with individuals across a variety of functions.
- You are a world-class individual contributor first and foremost to thrive at Toptal. * You will not be here to tell other people what to do.