Director of Business Analytics - Talent Operations
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Toptal is looking for a senior-level Director to lead the Analytics team for our Talent Operations function. This is a high-impact, high-visibility role interacting directly with Toptal’s executives and other senior leaders.
Toptal is committed to and investing heavily in expanding our Business Analytics Center of Excellence. You would play a crucial role in that expansion by hiring, training, mentoring, engaging, and directing a team of Business Analysts and Business Intelligence Analysts.
As the leader of the Talent Operations Analytics team, you would ultimately be responsible for providing senior business leaders with crucial insights and recommendations for improvement. You should be an exceptional leader who can build strong relationships, prioritize, and span the technical/business divide. Success in this role requires combining strong business acumen with analytics know-how to define metrics, measure performance, investigate behavior, diagnose root causes, develop dashboards/reports, conduct in-depth analysis, and present the story, insights, and recommendations at the executive level.
You should be both hands-on with the details and excited about seeing the big picture. Success in this role will ultimately be measured by business impact and the positive development of your Analytics team.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Serve as the senior team leader for Talent Operations Analytics, guiding and mentoring your Analysts.
- Analyze data, build models, test hypotheses, find root causes, develop prototypes, forecast performance, create reports, write SQL queries, conduct A/B tests, generate insights, present findings, make specific and actionable recommendations, and influence business decisions.
- Define metrics that are independent, holistic, accurate, encourage the right behaviors, and are aligned with company strategy and objectives.
- Proactively identify and surface opportunities to increase efficiency and improve our talent screening, activation yield, talent retention rates, matching process, funnel conversion rates, capacity planning, marketing efforts, talent success, and general communication, processes, tools, and systems across the Talent Operations organization.
- Work with Data Analysts, Business Analysts, Report Developers, Business Intelligence Analysts, Team Leads, and other leaders across the broader Analytics Center of Excellence to empower data-backed decision-making at all levels of the company.
- Interface with executive stakeholders to prioritize and present work and to meet expectations for timelines, accuracy, quality, and overall business impact.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal, and quickly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision.
- Shadow key teams to learn the core of Toptal’s operations and capabilities, including Growth, Talent Operations, Enterprise, and SMB.
In the first month, expect to:
- Understand the data generated through company operations and activities and where/how that data is stored–especially as it relates to our team.
- Obtain a basic understanding of the Talent Operations function and its operations.
- Assess the current state of performance metrics, reports, dashboards, models, and analyses used, and identify discrepancies and areas for improvement.
- Begin supporting the function leaders with relevant insights and reports for weekly and monthly leadership meetings.
- Begin to lead discussions with executive stakeholders and prioritize the work.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Develop a proficiency of data elements of the function and obtain a robust understanding of critical business processes.
- Gain an understanding and ability to assess the drivers and impacts of business decisions on financial performance.
- Begin identifying new opportunities to explore in the quest to improve performance continually.
- Refine prioritization processes and begin coaching team members to meet expectations.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Begin to solve real business problems as a team that will move the needle on key performance metrics and financial performance.
- Perform detailed root cause analysis to expose critical drivers of performance.
- Put processes in place to continually uplevel team performance.
In the first year, expect to:
- Inform significant strategic initiatives, goals, priorities, and performance indicators.
- Become an expert both on business process and data flow, and assist in building a new outstanding business analytics function.
- Uplevel the performance of individual analysts.
- 7+ years of experience in data analysis, analytics, or business intelligence is required.
- 5+ years of experience within general consulting or an analytical operations function is required.
- 3+ years of management experience.
- Both a strong background in math, science, finance, engineering, or statistics and deep business insight is required; advanced degrees and/or MBA are a plus.
- Experience with BI tools (Tableau, Qlik, PowerBI, etc.).
- Proficiency in SQL; experience with R, Python, SAS, or MATLAB is a plus.
- Experience with exploratory data analysis, prototyping, testing hypotheses, performing root cause analyses, modeling business processes, building forecasts, creating predictive models, defining metrics, and/or measuring business performance.
- Experience in Operations, Sales, Marketing, or Finance is preferred.
- Track record of linking data and analytics to business strategy, financial performance, and operations to drive real impact.
- Working knowledge of probability and statistics, experience with process improvement is a plus.
- Ability to explain complex issues simply and intuitively, and willingness to challenge assumptions, communicate limitations, and flag blind spots.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.