Toptal is one of the most innovative and rapidly expanding tech start-ups from Silicon Valley. With backing from investors such as Andreessen Horowitz and Adam D’Angelo, our platform is the fastest growing labor marketplace in the history of the Internet—connecting thousands of elite engineers and designers all over the world. In the last five years, Toptal has become the #1 choice for tech companies requiring top-tier engineering and design talent and for the top 3% of freelancers looking for their next challenge.
While we’re primarily focused on bringing quality and value to our clients, we’re also committed to creating a world-class environment for our employees. We are a completely distributed company with thousands of core and network team members located all over the world, and we take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We take an all-hands-on-deck approach to our work, taking pride in being collaborative, creative, and flexible.
If you aren’t looking for a job because you’re already killing it, we want you.
As Toptal rapidly scales its sales teams and infrastructure, you will be responsible for leading the push to grow Toptal’s SMB client portfolio, introducing companies to Toptal who would benefit from working with Toptal’s elite network of talent. As the Director of Business Development, you will be working closely with Toptal’s VP of Sales and executive team to build and execute an SMB client outreach and acquisition strategy, leading your team in meeting ambitious sales goals. You will be responsible for identifying target clients, developing and executing the tactics needed to bring them to fruition, and scaling the team’s operations.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. However, candidates located in New York City or San Francisco are preferred.
- Work closely with Toptal’s VP of Sales and executive team to develop and execute Toptal’s business development and sales strategy for clients with up to $500M in annual revenue.
- Build a predictable and scalable client funnel of qualified SMB companies that would benefit from having access to Toptal’s network of elite talent.
- Build and maintain a large network of contacts at SMB companies, with a focus on developing relationships with project managers, executives, and others who might be key stakeholders in engagements with Toptal.
- Set aggressive sales goals for your team and take full ownership over leading the team to meet those goals.
- Collaborate with designers, marketers, and team members to make exceptional marketing and sales collateral.
- Provide thought leadership, strategic insight, and clear communication (written and verbal) to team members on strategy.
- Be in constant communication with team members via Skype.
- While this is a remote position, candidates based in New York City or San Francisco are preferred.
- Proven success leading business development at top software development and digital design agencies.
- Extensive experience in sales for software development services and the ability to develop sales strategies and build relationships with technical and non-technical clients.
- You must know how to navigate startups and midsize businesses to assess who the key hiring managers and decision-makers are and which of their initiatives would be good fits for Toptal.
- You must have a strong understanding of how software development projects and budgeting at SMBs work.
- An exceptional network of business contacts and the ability to leverage those contacts to facilitate business opportunities.
- Extensive experience closing deals in the $50K to $2M range.
- You must have exceptional discipline, attention to detail, and motivation. You must be fully capable of leading and scaling a team, responding to consistent challenges, and going above and beyond as needed.
- You must be highly driven by the prospect of growing an innovative, world-changing business with us.
- You must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
New York or San Francisco
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- Mark comes from a background that combines technical training with real-world business experience. Having earned a BSE in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, he began his career in the Linux HPC industry, later transitioning into online marketing and then into technical sales. As VP of Sales at Toptal, he strives to maintain quality relationships with every client as the company grows.
- Paul has a background in IT and Sales, and has a long record of team leadership at Toptal. As the Inbound Sales Team Lead, he works with Toptal's high-intensity team of Sales Engineers to introduce large volumes of inbound prospective clients to Toptal every single day. He is a dynamic team leader, bringing energy, enthusiasm, and humor to motivate his team members to achieve their potentials and meet objectives.