Director of Business Operations, Marketing
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Toptal is a hypergrowth organization, which means that our core teams and operations infrastructure must constantly be evolving to sustain and further this growth. As a Director of Business Operations with a Marketing focus, you will work on cross-functional initiatives to help build strategic direction, execution frameworks, process automation and workflow enhancements, KPIs, and team structures necessary to drive Toptal’s growth. You will be trusted to tackle challenging and impactful problems at Toptal, working directly with the function executives to achieve success.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
You will work on the Toptal Marketing Operations team. You will scope initiatives, develop frameworks, and build comprehensive strategies to meet marketing objectives - executing flawlessly upon them.
In this role, you will partner with executives and other senior leaders to achieve successful outcomes through major company initiatives that result in new marketing programs, processes, and infrastructure. Your ability to learn the business, partner with function executives, develop recommendations, galvanize teams and act swiftly to drive to completion will be key to your success. Upon completion, you will ‘own’ or significantly support marketing initiative success on an ongoing basis and work for continual improvement to support Toptal’s hyper-growth strategies.
The life cycle of your projects, at a high level, will be: dive into a marketing initiative with a consultant’s mindset; ask questions to learn everything you can about the subject. Understand the problem to solve. Remove constraints and use non-incremental thinking to determine how to frame the initiative such that the related projects and components can deliver an order of magnitude greater impact. Execute on your plans, frequently doing things yourself as an individual contributor, and laying a solid foundation that can be built upon and owned or significantly supported by you upon completion. Ensure that the project can be sustainable within the function or company into the future by implementing processes that allow for its success into the future, including testing and reevaluation as the organization matures.
Example initiatives may include:
- Planning and executing the launch of a new operational framework for Marketing.
- Working with executives and other senior leaders to optimize outcomes and execute upon strategic and operational initiatives for the team.
- Planning and executing the Go-to-Market approach for new products or services.
- Working cross-functionally with the Marketing subfunctions to identify project types and optimize workflows across them, from initial request through approvals and delivery.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Rapidly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision.
- Develop expertise in Toptal planning and initiative management processes.
In the first month, expect to:
- Begin initial scoping of assigned functional initiatives.
- Collaborate with the Marketing Strategy team to gain a deeper understanding of quarterly plans for Revenue, Talent and Brand.
- Shadow various Marketing teams to learn the core of Toptal’s operations, goals, and measurable outcomes.
- Develop a plan to optimize regularly held cross-functional meetings.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Work alongside Marketing sub-functional team leaders to determine outcomes, make recommendations, and scope project plans.
- Partner with Project Managers to build and execute comprehensive marketing plans with input from and alignment with Marketing, Revenue and Talent leadership.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Make significant progress on initiative execution plans, as evidenced by the achievement of initiative milestones and KPIs.
In the first year, expect to:
- Own or assume a key role in designing how the Toptal Marketing organization delivers world-class work at scale to drive one of the highest growth rates in the industry.
- 5+ years combined business operations and consulting experience.
- Experience working for a major consulting firm preferred with expertise in the development of strategic operational frameworks and executive presentations.
- General understanding of marketing areas and concepts, particularly digital marketing.
- Leadership experience with responsibility for business results in a fast-paced, multi-function environment.
- Creative problem solver with proven results in improving processes in business operations and/or sales and marketing environments.
- Ability to leverage data to perform root cause analysis and address the source of issues.
- Proven ability to develop creative solutions that result in measurable transformative outcomes that reach beyond incremental improvements.
- Strong collaboration skills and demonstrated ability to influence and execute effectively in a cross-functional environment.
- Impeccable organization skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to apply effective change management principles and consider the human element of change.
- Persuasive and comfortable working in a matrixed environment.
- A knack for being able to convey complex information and recommendations in a clear, logical, understandable manner to stakeholders at executive levels.
- Excellent presentation, written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be a high-integrity, team player with the flexibility to meet the demands of changing business priorities.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.