Director of Business Operations - US-Based
Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and team members based around the globe, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote workforce.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As a Director of Business Operations at Toptal, you will work on functional initiatives to help build strategic direction, execution frameworks, process automation and workflow enhancements, KPIs, and team structures necessary to drive Toptal’s growth. You will be trusted to tackle challenging and impactful problems at Toptal, working directly with the function executives to achieve success.
This is a remote position. We do not offer visa sponsorship or assistance. Applicants must be authorized to work in the US at the time of hire. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
The following information is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or required skills.
Working within our Talent Operations team, you will scope initiatives, develop frameworks, and build comprehensive strategies to meet objectives - executing flawlessly upon them. You will partner with executives and other senior leaders to achieve successful outcomes through major company initiatives that result in new offerings, enhanced infrastructure and processes. Your ability to learn the business, partner with function executives, develop recommendations and act swiftly to drive to completion will be key to your success. Upon completion, you will ‘own’ or significantly support the initiative on an ongoing basis and work for continual improvement to support Toptal’s hyper-growth strategies.
The life cycle of your projects, at a high level, will be: Dive into a company initiative with a consultant’s mindset, ask questions to learn everything you can about the subject. Remove constraints and use non-incremental thinking to determine how to frame the initiative such that the related projects and components can deliver an order of magnitude greater impact. Execute on your plans, frequently doing things yourself as an individual contributor, and laying a solid foundation that can be built upon and owned or significantly supported by you upon completion. Ensure that the project can be sustainable within the function or company into the future by implementing processes that allow for its success into the future.
Example initiatives may include:
- Planning and executing the launch of a new operational business unit.
- Working with executives and other senior leaders to optimize outcomes and execute strategic and operational initiatives for the team.
- Planning and implementing a better workflow for collaboration between two key teams.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Rapidly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision.
- Shadow business analysts across the company to learn the core of Toptal’s operations, goals, and measurable outcomes.
In the first month, expect to:
- Undergo a deep training and mentorship period within Toptal’s Talent Operations Team, including partnering with and shadowing Toptal’s existing Directors of Business Operations.
- Begin initial scoping of assigned initiative.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Exercising discretion and independent judgment, work alongside Talent Operations Team leaders to determine outcomes, make recommendations, and scope project plans.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Make significant progress on the initiative execution plan, as evidenced by the achievement of initiative milestones and KPIs.
In the first year, expect to:
- Own or assume a key role in the ongoing execution and further enhancement of the assigned initiative.
Qualifications and Job Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree is required.
- 5+ years combined business operations and consulting experience.
- At least 1 year working for a major consulting firm with expertise in the development of strategic operational frameworks and executive presentations.
- Leadership experience with responsibility for business results in a fast-paced, multi-function environment.
- Creative problem solver with proven results in improving processes in a business operations and/or sales environment.
- Ability to leverage data to perform root cause analysis and address the source of issues.
- Proven ability to develop creative solutions that result in measurable transformative outcomes that reach beyond incremental improvements.
- Strong collaboration skills and demonstrated ability to influence and execute effectively in a cross-functional environment.
- Impeccable organization skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to apply effective change management principles and consider the human element of change.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, rapidly growing company and handle a wide variety of challenges, deadlines, and a diverse array of contacts.
- A knack for being able to convey complex information and recommendations in a clear, logical, understandable manner to stakeholders at executive levels.
- Excellent presentation, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Must be a high-integrity, team player with the flexibility to meet the demands of changing business priorities.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
Essential Job Functions
- Regularly and reliably attend scheduled virtual team meetings on camera.
- Work independently with minimal supervision.
- Use all required digital collaboration tools.
- Prioritize and self-manage workflows and deadlines.
US FLSA Classification: Full-Time/Exempt
The US-based salary range for this full-time position is $160,000 - $250,000 per year. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training.
This position is also eligible to receive a discretionary bonus.
Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis. Please note that the US-based salary range does not include the value of Toptal’s benefit offerings. In the US, Toptal’s benefit offerings include participation in a 401(k) retirement plan; medical, dental, and vision health insurance plans; basic life insurance coverage and short-term and long-term disability coverage; access to flexible spending, dependent care, and health savings accounts; access to telehealth virtual doctors; an employee assistance program; and flexible paid time off.