Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As a Toptal Director of Design, you will be responsible for design client matching operations for Toptal’s rapidly growing network of clients and community of designers. You will be working closely with Toptal’s Lead Director of Design and other Design Directors to ensure effective filtering, collaboration and support of clients and talent during the matching process, throughout the engagement and beyond. You will also be working directly with Toptal clients to understand their company needs and custom-match them with designers from Toptal’s design network. Alongside the other Directors of Design, you will be responsible for effectively maintaining an exceptional level of quality in your client talent recommendations, representing Toptal in a highly professional manner and quickly and objectively handle disputes at scale.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. All communication and resumes must be submitted in English.
- Work with Toptal clients to understand their design needs and custom-match them to designers in a way that maximizes success for both the client and the design expert.
- Work with our talent to advise them on client relationships.
- Provide thought leadership, strategic insight, and clear communication (written and verbal) to the team and clients.
- Identify and mediate problems quickly and efficiently.
- Identify opportunities to cross-sell into other Toptal verticals.
- Be in constant communication with clients, talent and team members via Skype, Slack, Email, Phone.
- Be open to talking to numerous stakeholders and personas, from our SMB and Enterprise clients, network designers, to team members
- Actively participate in team calls, sharing insights and expertise
In the first week you will:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Rapidly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision.
- Familiarize yourself with the team’s tools, processes, and reporting mechanisms.
- Become proficient with Toptal’s platform.
- Shadow matching calls with key teams across the company to learn the core of Toptal’s operations and capabilities.
In the first month you will:
- Take on your first clients and manage their engagement with Toptal.
- Become familiar with various teams in Toptal and understand how they contribute to the company’s success.
- Work closely with the talent and address their needs.
In the first three months you will:
- Build a mature client portfolio.
- Resolve any client-talent disputes which may arise in your client portfolio.
In the first six months you will:
- Become eligible to take on Toptal’s major accounts, including top tier brands and clients.
- With a full grasp of the role, you will start making your own minor process adjustments.
- For this specific position, we request that you have your calendar open during Pacific Time zone hours.
- Strong professional background within the design industry. Experience working as a freelance designer via Toptal is preferred.
- You must have exceptional communication and client empathy skills, with equal comfort speaking to startup founders, PMs or CTOs of large enterprises across a variety of industries.
- Ability to successfully filter clients for their fit with Toptal.
- Effectively manage disputes and objectively propose outcomes.
- Communicate quickly and clearly with clients, talent and our internal core team.
- You must have deep knowledge of the design industry, including industry best practices, common talent specializations, and team structures.
- Ability to work under pressure and adhere to tight deadlines without sacrificing quality.
- You must have an unparalleled eye for talent and a strong understanding of the differences in knowledge and expertise between designers at the tops of their fields and everyone else.
- You must have excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work well with international individuals across all functions from engineering to sales.
- You must be a self-starter who can execute with limited guidance.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor first and foremost to thrive at Toptal.
For Toptal Use Only: #LI-DNI