Director of Marketing Analytics
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Toptal is looking for a senior-level Director to lead our Marketing Analytics team. This is a high-impact, high-visibility role interacting directly with Toptal’s CEO, executive leadership, and other senior leaders across the Marketing organization.
Toptal is committed and investing heavily to expand our Business Analytics Center of Excellence. You would play a crucial role in that expansion by hiring, training, mentoring, engaging, and directing the Team Leads, Business Analysts, and Business Intelligence Analysts that support the Marketing function.
As the leader of the Marketing Analytics team, you would ultimately be responsible for providing senior business leaders with crucial insights and recommendations for improvement. You should be an exceptional leader that can build strong relationships, prioritize, and span the technical/business divide. Success in this role requires combining strong business acumen with analytics know-how to define metrics, measure performance, investigate behavior, diagnose root causes, develop dashboards/reports, conduct in-depth analysis, and present the story, insights, and recommendations at the executive level.
You should be both hands-on with the details and excited about seeing the big picture. Success in this role will ultimately be measured by business impact and the positive development of the Marketing Analytics team.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Serve as the senior team leader for Marketing Analytics, guiding and mentoring your Analysts.
- Analyze data, build models, test hypotheses, find root causes, develop prototypes, forecast performance, create reports, write SQL queries, conduct A/B tests, generate insights, present findings, make specific and actionable recommendations, and influence business decisions.
- Define metrics that are independent, holistic, accurate, encourage the right behaviors, and are aligned with company strategy and objectives.
- Proactively identify and surface opportunities to increase efficiency and improve our impressions, clicks, conversion rates, page rankings, SEO efforts, paid media campaigns, marketing spend, channel strategy, lead generation, revenue generation, client and talent experience, publications effectiveness, social media strategy, earned media mentions, and general communication, processes, tools, and systems across the Marketing organization.
- Use data from paid media ad platforms, Google Analytics, Google Search Console, Keyword Planner Tool, and other industry tools to drive insights and recommendations.
- Work with Data Analysts, Business Analysts, Report Developers, Business Intelligence Analysts, Team Leads, and other leaders across the broader Analytics Center of Excellence to empower data-backed decision-making at all levels of the company.
- Interface with executive stakeholders to prioritize and present work and to meet expectations for timelines, accuracy, quality, and overall business impact.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal, and quickly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision.
- Shadow key teams to learn the core of Toptal’s operations and capabilities, including Growth, Talent Operations, Enterprise, and SMB.
In the first month, expect to:
- Understand the data generated through company operations and activities and where/how that data is stored–especially as it relates to our team.
- Obtain a basic understanding of the Marketing function and its operations.
- Assess the current state of performance metrics, reports, dashboards, models, and analyses used, and identify discrepancies and areas for improvement.
- Begin supporting the function leaders with relevant insights and reports for bi-weekly leadership meetings.
- Begin to lead discussions with executive stakeholders and prioritize the work.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Develop a proficiency of data elements of the function and obtain a robust understanding of critical business processes.
- Gain an understanding and ability to assess the drivers and impacts of business decisions on financial performance.
- Begin identifying new opportunities to explore in the quest to improve performance continually.
- Refine prioritization processes and begin coaching team members to meet expectations.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Begin to solve real business problems as a team that will move the needle on key performance metrics and financial performance.
- Perform detailed root cause analysis to expose critical drivers of performance.
- Put processes in place to continually uplevel team performance.
In the first year, expect to:
- Inform significant strategic initiatives, goals, priorities, and performance indicators.
- Become an expert both on business process and data flow, and assist in building a new outstanding business analytics function.
- Uplevel the performance of individual analysts.
- 7+ years of experience in data analysis, analytics, or business intelligence is required.
- 5+ years of experience within general consulting or an analytical operations function is required.
- 3+ years of management experience.
- Both a strong background in math, science, finance, engineering, or statistics and deep business insight is required; advanced degrees and/or MBA are a plus.
- Experience with BI tools (Tableau, Qlik, PowerBI, etc.).
- Proficiency in SQL; experience with R, Python, SAS, or MATLAB is a plus.
- Experience with exploratory data analysis, prototyping, testing hypotheses, performing root cause analyses, modeling business processes, building forecasts, creating predictive models, defining metrics, and/or measuring business performance.
- Experience in marketing analytics and using tools and data such as Google Analytics, AdWords, Google Search Console, social media ad platforms, Keyword Planner Tool, and other industry tools.
- Track record of linking data and analytics to business strategy, financial performance, and operations to drive real impact.
- Working knowledge of probability and statistics, experience with process improvement is a plus.
- Ability to explain complex issues simply and intuitively, and willingness to challenge assumptions, communicate limitations, and flag blind spots.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.