Director of Business Operations and Enablement
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As the Director of Business Operations and Enablement, you will build a world-class operations enablement function for our Talent Operations function. The Talent Operations enablement team will drive operational excellence and continuous improvement initiatives that address key needs facing the Talent Operations function from new business launches to product implementation. You will partner with cross-functional teams to launch solutions that further the success of our internal Talent Operations team. You will take ownership of the internal business launch enablement roadmap and ensure on time, successful delivery of all projects related to growing our business.
Your ability to prioritize and organize feedback, collaborate across teams, and effectively communicate changes will ensure the adoption of new business and product enhancements that delight our operations teams and increase their effectiveness. You will help to organize and improve overall processes as well as build the infrastructure to support the needs of our rapidly growing Talent Operations teams. Your ability to understand current challenges and partner with cross-functional teams to identify and execute solutions will quickly earn you the reputation of a true Toptal Ambassador.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Deploy programs and initiatives that enable our talent and customer-facing operational teams to execute the core-aspects of their jobs more effectively, especially as it relates to new business launches.
- Develop an enablement strategy that identifies the goals and milestones needed to successfully achieve our new business roadmap.
- Work cross-functionally to identify critical enablement needs within Talent Operations and develop a prioritized roadmap.
- Build a team and, together, execute your strategy and other critical enablement initiatives.
- Convey ideas and content in a simple and effective way with stakeholders and support the development of change management and organizational readiness communications to the Talent Operations teams.
- Partner closely with cross-functional stakeholders to understand their operations and activities to enable the development of high-quality, accurate training resources and learning content that will increase adoption of new business offerings, product releases, and processes.
The successful person for this role has a demonstrated capability to:
- Have clear vision and set ambitious goals.
- Lead in a highly collaborative way.
- Operate in a fast-paced, high-growth environment.
- Articulate a strategy grounded in an agile execution plan.
- Effectively communicate across multiple audiences, from operations team to executive leadership.
- Launch a team from initial strategy development to execution.
- Understand operational needs, marketplace offerings and create relevant training and content.
- Be comfortable with rolling up sleeves to do the work, demonstrate traction, and build a team over time.
- Make data-informed decisions and define key metrics with which you’ll measure progress.
- Identify trends and opportunities for operational improvement and enablement.
- Inspire consensus and drive efficient change around new and improved business offerings and operations.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal; meet your colleagues.
- Learn about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision, with a focus on the state of our industry, the Future of Work, and the core messages important to Toptal.
- Shadow critical teams throughout the organization to learn Toptal’s core operations and capabilities.
In the first month, expect to:
- Begin developing relationships with key leaders and stakeholders across the organization.
- Dive deeper into the operations of key teams (e.g., Sales, Talent Operations) across the company.
- Develop an initial strategy to meet new business launch requirements enablement goals.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Be a well-integrated member of the organization with positive relationships in Talent Operations and Sales (Enterprise/SMB).
- Working with Talent Operations to enable our operations to meet our expanding business offerings.
- Build your team by hiring specialists to support the execution of your new business enablement strategy.
- Begin to identify areas for improvement.
- Update current processes/content and collaborate on new initiatives.
- Successfully manage the launch and execution of new business offerings enablement.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Reflect on your observations since you started and identify where there are additional areas for improvement and increase communications and adoption of all projects related to growing our business.
- Continue to fine-tune current processes and implement new ideas and initiatives.
- Gain continued ownership over Talent Operations enablement initiatives.
In the first year, expect to:
- Continue to strategize and implement new scalable improvements to increase efficiency for the entire Talent Operations team.
- 10+ years in operations enablement or business operations. Learning and development experience is beneficial.
- 5+ years building (hiring) and managing a team.
- Leadership experience with responsibility for business results in a fast-paced, multi-function environment.
- Strategic thinker that can take broad visions and concepts and develop structured plans, actions and measurable metrics and then execute those plans.
- Refined relationship development & leadership skills with a track record of success building credibility across all levels of an organization.
- Skilled in the art of communicating with both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Executive presence, excellence verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to develop integrated training solutions from inception to post-delivery assessment.
- Knowledge of innovative, current adult learning techniques and methodologies and the application of those to learning in the corporate setting.
- Proven ability to understand an organization’s current/desired state and actions to close gaps.
- Excellent organization skills and detail-oriented. You are hyper-organized, know how to work efficiently, and prioritize execution.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.