Director of Outreach Publications
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As the Director of Outreach, Publications you will be a valuable member of the Marketing organization and report to the Publications Editor-in-Chief. You will be responsible for implementing and overseeing a sustainable and scalable outreach program with the goal of expanding our database of world-class authors and contributors. You will lead the team responsible for prospecting, qualifying, and engaging with relevant PR representatives, top executives, world-renowned thought leaders, elite celebrities, and Toptal talent network members to participate in our blog content. The Publications team at Toptal is responsible for building brand trust and credibility via our blogs: Insights, Engineering, Design, Finance, Project Management, Product Management, Staffing.com, and Recruitment.com.
You will be expected to take full ownership of outreach-related OKRs and the execution of the initiatives that achieve them. You will work cross-functionally with Communications, Creative, and Marketing Strategy teams to implement your team’s vision, regularly reporting to both the Executive team and the wider business on progress and performance. You will be expected to deliver what is necessary to expand our database of PR representatives, executives, thought leaders, celebrities, and Toptal talent network members. You will own our contributor database and be responsible for creating and implementing outreach campaigns, as well as working with Lead Editors to understand and greet the sourcing needs for each blog’s content strategy. You will identify best practices and train the team on how best to engage with and nurture contacts. You will also identify new opportunities for content that features high-profile contacts, including but not limited to video and podcasts.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- As the Director of Outreach, Publications, you will be accountable for the growth, development, and evolution of the Publications outreach program at Toptal and the long-term success of this program.
- You will be chiefly responsible for communicating outreach strategy, progress and performance to the executive team and the wider business.
- You will lead a growing team of Outreach Specialists to achieve success for the outreach program—setting their strategy, direction, coaching, and giving feedback as required to maximize their output and potential.
- You will collaborate closely with stakeholders across Marketing Strategy, Communications and PR, Paid Media, and Creative teams dedicated to maximizing and amplifying your team’s strategies.
- You will develop and maintain highly transparent and well-communicated methodologies for your strategies, with a focus on objective data, providing regular updates on progress and challenges.
- You will drive thought leadership and coaching throughout the Publications team, drive awareness and understanding of outreach requirements and research, and drive communication of outreach performance and plans to the Publications leadership team.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal —meet with the teams and people you will have long-term working relationships with.
- Familiarize yourself with the structure and operations of the Publications team.
- Work closely with the Editors-in-Chief, Lead Editors, Communications, and PR teams to gain a fundamental understanding of the teams, blogs, and publications operations.
- Work closely with the team to dive deep into our history, assets, roadmap, and unexplored opportunities that you will be able to lead.
In the first month, expect to:
- Take ownership of the outreach process including the database and best practices.
- Fully understand how we create content and conduct outreach to create new processes and best practices to share with the team. We only hire hands-on people who take initiative.
- Understand the ins and outs of your role completely.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Manage and oversee the launch of all publications outreach campaigns.
- Build relationships with PR representatives, executives, thought leaders, celebrities, and Toptal talent network members.
- Create a scalable and effective contact database that will be used by all Publications team members.
In the first year, expect to:
- Reshape how the Publications team engages with and nurtures contacts, growing the number of contacts and helping to increase the cadence of publishing by helping writers and editors secure world-class sources.
- Identify and target advanced, big picture, and creative opportunities for top executives, world-renowned thought leaders, premium celebrities, and Toptal talent network members to participate in Publications beyond the content currently featured on Toptal blogs.
- 5+ years of recent experience on outreach campaigns, preferably in a public relations or talent agency/booking role.
- Knowledge of publishing preferred.
- Experience in leading and coaching senior team members.
- Experience communicating performance strategies to executive-level stakeholders.
- Experience with thought leadership campaigns preferred.
- Experience with professional services marketing is ideal.
- Impressive track record of securing high-caliber talent for projects.
- Extensive experience collaborating with PR, communications, talent, and editors/writers.
- A quick, strategic mind with exceptional experience leading successful outreach campaigns.
- An efficient, results-driven, process and KPI-oriented mentality.
- A bias for action and the ability to foster a results-driven mentality in your team that should be persistent by nature and unwilling to leave problems unsolved.
- Excellent, clear, and direct communication skills, both written and verbal, and experience working with senior leadership.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.