Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As the Director of Program Management, you will be responsible for building a world-class team of impact-driven program managers, working closely with stakeholders across the company to plan the development and delivery of software releases. Your primary focus in this role will be to own the management and reporting cross-functionally of all stages of the development and release lifecycle. You will work with engineers, product managers, designers, and the executive team to bring clarity and insight into the delivery of product and project deliverables. You will also evangelize and support our product development process, as well as serve as the owner and subject matter expert on our agile framework and guidelines.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. All communication and resumes must be submitted in English. This role reports into the CTO.
You will be responsible for leading and managing cross-functional projects across a range of product and technical areas. You will own reporting of product initiative status and metrics to bring clarity to various stakeholders. You will own process transformation for engineering management initiatives, such as our bug triage and management process. You will align with stakeholders and teams on delivery targets and ensure the successful execution of complex deployments. You will support planning across the product funnel from the product prioritization process to the engineering execution and release plans. You will serve as the Subject Matter Expert (SME) on our Agile framework and processes. You will be responsible for developing and implementing standard metrics to measure productivity across teams.
In the first week you will:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Start learning about our product development process and agile framework.
In the first month you will:
- Understand and capture metrics to monitor and enhance team performance.
- Serve as our Agile SME.
- Help lead the implementation and adoption of JIRA and Confluence.
- Begin to build out Toptal’s program management framework.
In the first three months you will:
- Begin evangelizing Toptal’s program management framework.
- Implement engineering and product reporting.
- Generate an assessment of what teams need help in their process and craft a plan of execution.
- Facilitate negotiations between stakeholders, product owners, and engineering in order to surface highest priority work and also to protect and support the team’s roadmap.
In the first six months you will:
- Regularly report on project and program status to executive leadership and other stakeholders.
- You will set the company standards for reporting and release management.
- Improve Toptal’s bug management process.
- Grow your team.
In the first year you will:
- Have a fully functioning team of program managers.
- Own a world-class program management function where standards and practices are well understood and adhered to.
- Demonstrated experience successfully leading agile teams.
- Capable of driving change through influence, coaching, and education.
- Ability to drive large, complex programs and solutions using virtual teams.
- Comfortable managing changing priorities and building consensus across varied stakeholder groups.
- A deep background in all aspects of software engineering and the development lifecycle for enterprise applications development, engineering and/or operations at scale, in Agile and Kanban environments.
- Great analytical problem-solving skills and decision-making abilities.
- Ownership. You take responsibility for the success of this program.
- Quality. You take pride in everything you deliver as a reflection of yourself.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
For Toptal Use Only: #europe
GMT-5 to GMT+2