Director of Sales Enablement and Operations
Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Does the idea of being responsible for a portion of business that directly affects revenue growth sound exciting? This role has the opportunity to positively impact our growing SMB Sales team through the development of sales tools and critical initiatives. We are looking for an experienced professional to lead sales enablement and operations in support of Toptal’s customer-centric strategy under the direction of the VP, SMB Sales and in partnership with Business Analytics. We are looking for someone who has the vision and passion to lead the SMB sales enablement and operations efforts. Be comfortable operating independently and will bring the expertise to implement a best-in-class sales enablement and operations function- while maintaining fiscal responsibility through efficiency gains and cost/benefit analysis. Being a successful leader at Toptal requires a keen attention to detail, be driven, have an ability to critically think through problems, all while being an inspiring leader to this team. Lead the charge in optimizing the efficiency and effectiveness of the SMB Sales department as a whole!
This is a remote position, where work can be done from anywhere in the world. Due to this remote nature, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
The SMB Director of Sales Enablement and Operations is a member of the Senior Leadership Team. Be in a player-coach role responsible for crafting and executing the SMB sales operations strategy along with the Sales Enablement Manager. Lead the development of sales processes, playbooks, dashboard and reporting initiatives, sales development and compensation plans. By monitoring and responding to key performance indicators, ensure that all groups are performing at optimum levels and maximizing effectiveness and efficiency. Be a key player to the team’s success!
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal leadership.
- Learn Toptal’s model, our team members, and our story.
- Begin our 1-1 sales training process which conveys our value proposition, sales process, and delivery method.
- Become acquainted with the cross-functional groups to work closely alongside- particularly Business Analytics.
In the first month, expect to:
- Assess our performance dashboards, playbooks, tools, and learning programs.
- Work closely with SMB leadership to identify gaps in the process that hinder efficiency and develop meaningful plans to address.
- Take ownership of the sales enablement and operations function within SMB and be responsible for managing up to the VP, SMB Sales.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Develop sales enablement strategy and operations to ensure SMB growth targets including inbound sales and relationship management areas.
- Launch new playbooks, sales processes, critical metrics, and development programs to support SMB’s customer-centric strategy and have them incorporated into the Product platform.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Develop a continuous improvement cadence to refine and update processes as the business adapts to changes in the marketplace.
- Partner with SMB leadership to own cost and revenue impact analysis resulting from the introduction of new business verticals or sales channels.
In the first year, expect to:
- Have successfully refined sales enablement and operations to exceed sales goals.
- Exhibit proven history successfully mentoring, coaching and train SMB employees.
- Continue to drive a culture of high performance and continuous improvement.
- Knowledgeable. Broad understanding of business and technical challenges encountered by mid-size businesses and hyper-growth companies and a demonstrated ability to utilize data to drive decisions for SMB sales.
- Experienced. Must have experience employing standard methodologies in sales enablement and operations resulting in a track record of success.
- Critical thinking. This role is highly analytical and requires comfortability working with large amounts of data, but with a keen eye on the primary drivers that impact the SMB sales team’s ability to exceed their goals.
- Client Focus. Be driven by relationships and committed to client success- both internally and externally. This extends to the talent we provide, the experience we offer and the outcomes we deliver.
- Motivated. Be highly motivated with a strong work ethic, aiming for continuous improvement both personally and professionally.
- Resourceful. Own the sales enablement and operations function of the SMB business- we want self-starters who are hardworking and who thrive on the freedom and accountability of leading their portion of the business.
- Proactive. Understand our mission and do the work required to drive us to that goal, without being told. Our team is not here to be reactive.
- Communication. Communication is the lifeblood of relationships both internal and external to Toptal. Reflect excellent communication in all forms, across a wide variety of personality types, roles, and geographies. Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with an aptitude to communicate effectively both laterally and vertically among teams.
- Team. Nothing we do is done in isolation. Success at Toptal depends on the ability to work as a team both within Toptal and with our more meaningful clients.
- Ownership. Exhibit ownership of successes and failures.
- Problem Solver. We are a distributed company so life throws in minor challenges beyond the primary problems this role is meant to solve. Must have the ability to take those in stride and persist despite setbacks.
- Priorities. The nature of this role requires the understanding of the priorities and timelines associated with the help of the SMB business, and execute appropriately with those in mind.
- As with all roles at Toptal, this person must be an outstanding contributor to thrive at Toptal. Members of this team are not here just to tell other people what to do.