Director of Talent Success
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As our Director of Talent Success, you will be responsible for the end-to-end journey of every talent that comes into the Toptal network. You will help talent achieve success which is defined by the key attributes most talents desire, including but not limited to job interest and stability, career progression, and professional development. As someone who is highly analytical in nature, a data-driven approach will be leveraged in any and all initiatives that you will lead or support.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
As the leader of this function, you will develop and execute upon programs and initiatives that expand the talent value proposition and ensure that talents are increasingly satisfied with Toptal, by re-designing some existing processes and developing new initiatives. By driving to improve our value proposition and overall talent satisfaction, you will increase overall talent satisfaction and talent retention for our network. Paying close attention to talent retention, determining what causes high-demand talent churn and finding opportunities to keep talent engaged in the network will be a chief concern.
Strong partnerships and cross collaboration with other functions and teams at Toptal (such as Screening, Talent Supply, Matching, Community, Product & Brand Marketing) and consideration of valuable feedback loops will be vital to maximizing the impact of the team. Your success will be measured by exceeding established KPIs designed to meet our high standards for creating a customer-centric experience for our talents.
As an ambassador to our talent community, it will be vital to ensure that brand and quality standards are met for all aspects of your initiatives, including in-person events, ongoing and new programs, and high-quality, high-impact content that will be delivered on a regular basis.
You will build operating rigor around continuous talent management and talent development within our talent network, ensuring that talent development programs continue to evolve by role, level and skill, aligned to the needs of the business by increasing productivity and engagement. This will assist in developing career paths for a rapidly scaling organization and help us think about new ways of defining talent career development.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Rapidly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision.
- Shadow key teams across the company to learn the core of Toptal’s operations and capabilities.
- Gain a meaningful understanding of the roles and priorities of key business partners.
In the first month, expect to:
- Complete a current state assessment of the structure and functions that define Talent Success.
- Work with the VP of Talent Operations to review and update Quarterly OKRs for the Talent Success function.
- Develop talent dashboards to accurately assess and forecast the health of the talent network.
- Align on critical metrics to measure impact, quality, and success. Define/refine KPIs as measures of talent quality and team success.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Use an approach that is driven by data to identify strategic growth opportunities in our talent network with an emphasis on recruitment, retention, and engagement.
- Develop capacity planning models to ensure the team can meet expedited talent placement expectations for current and future needs.
- Evaluate and expand training resources for the Talent Success team.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Optimize the structure, processes, and execution of the Talent Success team.
- Stabilize and adapt talent attraction and retention strategies and methods to accommodate expanding skill sets and verticals.
- Successfully utilize demand forecasting and supply reporting and metrics to direct Talent Success prioritization efforts.
In the first year, expect to:
- Strengthen the infrastructure within the Talent Success team for long-term scalability and talent satisfaction in a continually evolving work environment.
- Serve as a primary force in driving and crafting new avenues of opportunity for all parts of the Talent Success function at Toptal.
- At least 5+ years of experience managing, coaching, and leading a global team, providing motivation and clear direction to meet expectations by instilling accountability for quality, sense of urgency, and deepening of talent relationships.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to utilize forecasting tools to inform capacity planning and set priorities and strategic direction.
- Capable of developing and championing a compelling point of view around best practices and emerging trends.
- Relentless in your creative approach of clearing obstacles while innovating around solutions.
- Thrives as a structured and methodical builder and executor of initiatives from end to end, with deep experience ideating, building strategies and business cases, launching the plan, execution of the program and management of post-mortem and maintenance modes.
- Self-motivated and directed, comfortable with ambiguity while possessing a “can-do” attitude.
- Accustomed to working in a metrics-driven environment and successful in developing methods to achieve KPI expectations.
- Experience working with executive-level stakeholders to shape programs from high level objectives and problem areas.
- Ability to adapt to changing business priorities and environments.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
Note: This is a role that, while not open at the moment, highlights skill sets that are consistently in high demand within Toptal. We encourage interested applicants to apply - as a rapidly scaling company, we end up developing innovative new roles often. We regularly review the applicants for this position to find matches for these unique opportunities.