Engineering Manager, Talent Profile Team
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As a leader of the Talent Profile team, you will be leading work on our first-class talent profile management and onboarding process. You’ll own talent activation and profile areas that are vital for talent success. As such, you’ll have the opportunity to experiment and bring new and enhanced features to a high-impact domain.
The Talent Profile team is a product development unit. The team has some of the best Backend, Frontend, and Quality Assurance Engineers. You can expect collaboration and involvement of the team members to where and how the team evolves under your supervision; what processes the team adopts and drops. On the product side, you will be supported by the creative visions and careful planning of a seasoned Product Manager and Product Designer.
Working with the Talent Profile team is a rewarding experience of interaction with highly autonomous, passionate, and smart engineers. You will be challenged and supported in your actions and decisions. You will be working with a team of future and established leaders who chose engineering for the love of the craft and strive to grow and learn. You’ll have the opportunity to bring the team to the next level.
In the products’ technical stack, the team employs Ruby on Rails for two backend services and a combination of Apollo, TypeScript, and React for the single-page applications.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
You will be leading a team of highly skilled professionals to create and maintain world-class products used by our users externally and internally. Among other responsibilities:
- Set goals for their team as in the OKRs framework;
- Understand the big picture of what your team is doing and why;
- Inspire and motivate your team;
- Identify your stakeholders and communicate with them regularly and proactively;
- Communicate proactively with your team and the Product Manager;
- Maximize team engagement;
- Give their team members immediate feedback if necessary;
- Establish proper feedback loops in their team;
- Participate in regular performance reviews: for your team members and everybody you are regularly interacting with (Product Manager, Product Designers, etc.);
- Be aware of engineering-wide technical and people initiatives and be open to help if necessary;
- Facilitate technical discussions;
- Resolve both technical and social conflicts when you feel you need to step in;
- Push for high code quality by frequent code reviews;
- Ensure the overall output quality e.g. whether delivered features are what was actually agreed, the quality of the source code, and so on. As a leader, you are responsible for the overall output;
- Mentor team members when you feel they could be better programmers or team players in general;
- Bring up difficult and/or systemic challenges and impediments to the attention of their Director of Engineering or other engineering management;
- As an Engineering Manager, you are first and foremost a leader, not a developer. This doesn’t mean though that you don’t stay up to date with programming-related topics and make sure that you get their hands dirty on a regular basis;
- Initiate discussions about personal and career growth with your direct reports; Own process of ticket creation and ticket quality, as well as effective grooming and planning. You make sure these parts are taken care of in a timely manner and at the most suitable depth for a performant team;
- Lead the recruiting and hiring process of the team.
In the first week, expect to:
- Start at the team by being introduced to Toptal and its culture, meeting colleagues, and get access to documentation and repositories.
In the first month, expect to:
- Complete onboarding, having pushed code to production, and be introduced to your future teammates.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Be working with your team and understand its mission and roadmap;
- Conduct regular 1:1s with your teammates, and begin to understand their strengths and aspirations;
- Be leading your team’s efforts from planning to delivery.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Have set and followed through at least one full quarter of OKRs;
- Build a deep understanding of the mission, constraints, and capabilities of your team and squad;
- Develop relationships with engineers, engineering managers, and other colleagues to maximize cross-collaboration whenever beneficial;
- Contribute improvement suggestions at an Engineering-wide and even Company-wide level.
In the first year, expect to:
- Have led the shipping of at least one major feature in your team having a company-wide impact;
- Organize at least one team gathering;
- Have defined yearly OKRs with and for your team.
- Have 3+ years of engineering experience;
- Have 2+ years of previous experience leading a product development team;
- Have a solid understanding of development and quality assurance methodologies and concepts;
- Have a track record of delivering successful products as an engineer and as an engineering manager;
- Have experience guiding the continuous improvement of processes and technology;
- Thrive on providing and receiving honest but always constructive feedback;
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.