Enterprise Sales Director, Health & Life Sciences - US-Based
Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and team members based around the globe, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote workforce.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As Director, Health & Life Sciences (HLS), you will lead and scale a world-class team to accelerate the growth of Toptal’s enterprise customer base across provider, payor, MedTech, and life sciences. Working closely with the Head of Sales & VP of Enterprise, you will lead your team in targeting, closing, and developing high-value health and life sciences clients.
Toptal is changing the way that companies execute on projects with a global, remote network focused exclusively on top talent. We reject more than 97% of the developers, designers, and others who apply, allowing us to assemble teams faster and with greater agility than anyone else. Our proprietary tools and systems drive a differentiated talent engagement experience, and we continue to deliver excellence in staff augmentation as well as project-based services work.
If you have a relentless commitment to quality and are impatient with the average pace of progress, Toptal offers a different kind of place to build a career. Our team is direct, data-driven, and hyper-focused on results. We have a bias for action in identifying and solving problems and believe that effective collaboration is a prerequisite for achieving anything meaningful. The pandemic trend toward remote work bent the shape of Toptal’s growth curve sharply upward, and our quality-focused model allows us to capture an increasing share of a massive addressable market. Come grow with us as we build a new way for companies to find and work with the world’s top talent, on demand.
This is a remote position. However, we require applicants and the person in this position to reside in-market. We do not offer visa sponsorship or assistance. Applicants must be authorized to work in the US at the time of hire. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
The following information is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or required skills.
- Lead a team of experienced Sales & Client Services professionals to expand Toptal’s professional services market share within the Health & Life Sciences industry sector.
- Coach and mentor HLS team members, providing feedback, conducting performance reviews, and implementing performance improvement plans, if needed.
- Implement strategy & tactics to acquire key target prospects while deepening strategic relationships with HLS portfolio clients.
- Develop account prioritization criteria and work with members of the team to optimize account portfolios and engagement strategies.
- Regularly meet with members of the team to review KPIs, provide guidance to increase deal velocity, evaluate performance, and develop coaching plans.
- Evaluate and evolve the team’s short, medium, and long-term tactics to establish Toptal as the leading provider of professional services in the enterprise space.
- Define territory focus areas and establish portfolios for members of the team and work with them to develop account plans and relationship maps by leveraging industry insights.
- Serve as Executive sponsor through cultivating SVP & C-level relationships at accounts in your team’s portfolio.
- Develop Go-to-Market Strategy to expand Toptal’s presence within Health & Life Sciences.
- Actively recruit new members to join our rapidly growing team.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Learn Toptal’s model, our value proposition, and our story.
- Learn our sales method and our selling process.
- Meet the team and understand targets and goals.
In the first month, expect to:
- Gain intelligence in your industry portfolio and adjust territories as needed.
- Work with the team to build and improve account plans and relationship maps.
- Hone your Toptal pitch to assist the team in effectively selling our unique model.
- Understand the processes required in dealing with internal stakeholders (e.g., Legal).
- Actively contribute to the Sales Leadership team in building out client development strategies.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Become a master of the Toptal sales process, closing contracts to acquire new logos.
- Uncover new business opportunities within your portfolio and drive sales pursuits with cross-functional teams to grow accounts.
- Work collaboratively with clients as they engage Toptal SMEs across different practice areas (e.g., Cloud, Data & Analytics, etc.) and delivery models (e.g., staffing, managed delivery, etc.).
In the first six months, expect to:
- Have completed team build-out making changes as needed to put the right players on the field, establishing objectives and initiatives for the team, and organizing, delegating, overseeing and monitoring work.
- Monitor and manage the team’s relationships with existing accounts and execution against account strategies.
- Take Toptal’s presence on your accounts to the next level by introducing new capabilities and winning work away from larger staffing and services competitors.
- Establish industry strategy to build team synergy and alignment on key goals and objectives within the Health & Life Sciences Industry.
In the first year, expect to:
- Have built out a world-class team of reps in a growing portfolio.
- Work with Enterprise Leadership to plan the next wave of industry growth for the team.
- Mentor new leaders, teaching them about Toptal, our model, and how to successfully grow their teams.
- Continue to expand your team’s portfolio of accounts, accelerate growth in your industry, and use the full suite of capabilities Toptal has to offer.
- Bachelor’s degree is required.
- 5+ years of proven success leading professional services sales teams in healthcare, with deep industry relationships ranging from director-level to C-level contacts.
- Minimum of 10 years experience building client portfolios of $20M+ with a blended team of hunters and farmers, including key involvement in negotiating MSAs / SOWs and selling large, complex, multi-phase, managed technology projects to enterprise clients with $2B+ in annual revenue.
- Ability to thrive and excel in a dynamic, fast-paced organization.
- A well-rounded understanding of emerging technologies and the ability to have an informed discussion about software delivery and development concepts with prospective clients.
- Professional maturity, poise, and executive presence – you’re a masterful storyteller with experience building long-term client relationships and influencing at the C-level.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, rapidly growing company and handle a wide variety of challenges, deadlines, and a diverse array of contacts.
- Regular or periodic travel to meet and engage with Toptal clients and customers both inside and outside of your geographic location.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
Essential Job Functions
- Regularly and reliably attend scheduled virtual team meetings on camera.
- Work independently with minimal supervision.
- Use all required digital collaboration tools.
- Prioritize and self-manage workflows and deadlines.
US FLSA Classification: Full-Time/Exempt
The US-based salary range for this full-time position is $175,000 - $235,000 per year. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training.
This position is also eligible to receive a discretionary bonus.
Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis. Please note that the US-based salary range does not include the value of Toptal’s benefit offerings. In the US, Toptal’s benefit offerings include participation in a 401(k) retirement plan; medical, dental, and vision health insurance plans; basic life insurance coverage and short-term and long-term disability coverage; access to flexible spending, dependent care, and health savings accounts; access to telehealth virtual doctors; an employee assistance program; and flexible paid time off.