Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Providing a phenomenal web user experience is essential to us, and we’re always looking for hardworking front-end web developers to take us to the next level. By joining our team, you’ll get the opportunity to work on many of our projects with a team of highly skilled front-end experts from around the world. At Toptal, we push the boundaries of web interfaces every single day, and we’d love for this person to help us take us even further. The bulk of the work we do is pure front-end development, but some back-end skills will help you.
We don’t cut corners, and we definitely don’t make compromises—we build appealingly designed web apps that are polished, fast, well-tested, and a joy to use. We are remote-only, have no office, and fully embrace a flexible work-life balance. All communication and resumes must be submitted in English.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English
- Translate designs into code.
- Build cross-browser solutions optimized for a wide range of devices.
- Cover your code with tests and perform manual testing of your features.
- Review the work of your colleagues.
- As a true teammate, you continuously improve your team’s processes, brainstorm ideas, and communicate your status and progress.
- Mentor other people, provide feedback, and continuously improve yourself.
In the first week, expect to:
- Join our Bootcamp team and begin introductions to Toptal.
- Get acquainted with our tech stack.
- Be introduced to our working processes and product backlog.
In the first month, expect to:
- Transition from the Bootcamp team onto your new team at Toptal.
- Start to contribute to software development at Toptal.
- Get a deeper understanding of our technology, processes, and product pipeline.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Actively supply software planning, development, and maintenance.
- Be ready to propose improvements to Toptal’s processes and codebase.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Lead technical initiatives with the team.
- Drive improvements to the codebase and processes.
In the first year, expect to:
- Have a detailed understanding of Toptal’s technical stack, collaboration rituals, processes, performance, and future work.
- Have a clear idea of your career path at Toptal.
- Mentor Toptal’s new team members.
We are expecting from you to:
- Have 5+ years of front-end web development experience—preference is given to candidates who have worked on large applications of some scale.
- You have experience with responsive designs.
- Have experience developing within a web framework for backend—Ruby on Rails is a plus.
- Consider multiple quality dimensions like user impact, failure tolerance, code maintenance, implementation time, security breaches, and performance.
- Be genuinely interested in technology and love to try new things.
- Tackle complex problems but also consider multiple solutions, weigh them, and decide on the best course of action.
- This person should be passionate about providing and receiving honest but constructive feedback.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.