Front-end Engineering Intern
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As a Front-end Engineering Intern, you will get to learn and work with our world-class Front-end Engineers. Our Front-end is dominated by SPAs powered by TypeScript, React and GraphQL - the state of the art technologies today. You will have the opportunity to learn to develop new features and improve the quality of our libraries and applications. We don’t cut corners, and we don’t make compromises—we build expertly designed web apps that are polished, fast, well-tested, and a joy to use.
This is a 6 months paid internship program that may conclude with a permanent position within one of our great core engineering teams.
This is a full time, flexible hours, remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- You will learn to build and maintain first-class software serving thousands of businesses every day.
Among other responsibilities:
- Follow the guidance of your mentors.
- Learn something new and improve your skills every week.
- Write elegant, efficient, and testable code that is easy to read and maintain.
- As a great teammate, continuously improve the team’s processes, brainstorm ideas, and commit to the “Quality First” mentality.
- Be a mentee, provide feedback, and grow as a part of the team.
- Actively participate in meetings including Scrum meetings, squad meetings, pair programming sessions, etc.
In the first week, expect to:
- Begin your onboarding and integration into Toptal.
- Start participating in company-wide training sessions.
- Get familiar with our processes, tools, product portfolio and team structure.
- Setup your local environment and get familiar with our tech stack.
In the first month, expect to:
- Build your first pull request.
- Learn about the technology that powers Toptal - services, patterns, and libraries we use and develop.
- Have strong knowledge of Toptal’s business.
- Contribute to our product development.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Develop a deeper understanding of our technology, processes, and product pipeline.
- Be ready to propose and implement improvements to Toptal’s processes and codebase.
- Deliver value in a regular cadence.
- Get comfortable in your daily work within your team.
- Get your code successfully reviewed by your colleagues.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Drive improvements to the codebase.
- Be able to not only solve complex problems but also consider multiple solutions, weigh them, and decide on the best course of action.
- Go through the 6 months evaluation program in order to know what will be expected of you in the permanent Junior Front-end Engineer position and get to know your permanent team.
- Currently studying Computer Science at a technical University or recently graduated.
- Have a basic knowledge of programming, high interest and motivation to follow a career as a developer.
- Have passion for modern front-end technologies.
- Great spoken and written communication skills.
- High energy level, zest for learning from the best.