Full-Stack Engineer, Site Acquisition Team
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As a Full-stack Engineer at Toptal, you will help us scale for our continued growth as a game-changing, industry-defining company shaping the future of work.
We are a product team delivering value to the end-users working closely with the business. You will be working in the Site Acquisition team, responsible for migrating, improving, and supporting Toptal Utilities tools, used by millions of monthly users. You will have the opportunity to develop new features and improve the quality of the existing codebase. Every bit of work you do will have a direct impact on the company’s revenue.
We don’t cut corners, and we don’t make compromises—we build expertly designed web apps that are polished, fast, well-tested, and a joy to use.
We use React to render client-facing pages and to run various experiments, and Node.js, Next.js, and Kubernetes power a lot of our infrastructure. While you will be primarily responsible for front-end React work, public APIs, databases, and deployment processes. If that appeals to you, this is the right opportunity for you. You will also have a chance to explore new tools and frameworks, as we’re always looking for ways to improve site performance and team productivity.
By joining the Growth Squad, you’ll work on meaningful initiatives and projects that have an impact on the bottom line of the company, with a team of highly skilled members from around the world. At Toptal, we push the boundaries on what’s possible every single day, and we’d love for you to be a part of it!
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Build fast and reliable public APIs;
- Deployment processes, setup CI/CD;
- Work with databases following best performance and security practices;
- Build cross-browser solutions optimized for a wide range of devices;
- Build innovative and heavy graphics interfaces that run well on desktop and mobile;
- Cover your code with tests and perform manual testing of your features;
- Review the work of your colleagues;
- As a true teammate, continuously improve your team’s processes, brainstorm ideas, and communicate your status and progress;
- Mentor other people, provide feedback, and continuously improve yourself.
In the first week, expect to:
- Begin your onboarding and integration into Toptal, and meet the mentors that will support you through it;
- Get familiar with our product portfolio, team structure, and tech stack;
- Get familiar with our architecture and all the tools that we use. Learn about the processes that we follow.
In the first month, expect to:
- Familiarize yourself with the team’s business domain.
- Contribute to our product development.
- Develop a deeper understanding of our technology, processes, and product pipeline.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Start contributing to the technical topics as well, understand the application, and general architecture;
- Learn and take part in the utilization of the latest technologies;
- Deliver value in regular cadence;
- Get comfortable with the daily work routine of our team;
- Review code written by your colleagues;
- Be ready to propose improvements to Toptal’s processes and codebase.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Become a key part of the team, be responsible for certain areas, and help others inside and outside of the team;
- Contribute to planning and executing multi-sprint initiatives inside our team;
- Lead technical initiatives on our team;
- Drive improvements to the codebase and processes.
In the first year, expect to:
- On-board, mentor and be part of the interviewing team, in order to support the growth of our top-skilled engineering team;
- Become a champion of new ideas that will thrive to achieve the purpose of our company while ensuring the quality culture that we value the most;
- Have 3+ years of web development experience – preference is given to candidates who have worked on large applications of some scale;
- Have 2+ years of experience working with React;
- You have experience with responsive designs;
- You have experience with performance optimization of web applications;
- On-page SEO knowledge is a plus;
- When working as a Full-stack Developer you are also thinking about the general picture and application as a whole;
- Experience with open source projects is a plus.
- Consider multiple quality dimensions like user impact, failure tolerance, code maintenance, implementation time, security breaches, and performance;
- Be genuinely interested in technology and love to try new things;
- Tackle complex problems but also consider multiple solutions, weigh them, and decide on the best course of action;
- You should be passionate about providing and receiving honest and constructive feedback;
- You should be willing to constantly learn and improve your skills to become a truly autonomous specialist;
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.