Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold
As the Head of the Developer Vertical, you will define, represent, and lead the future of the development industry in the on-demand talent space. You will continue building, scaling, operating, and optimizing every function of the Toptal Developer Vertical. This will include planning, recruiting, training, matching, and selling. You will align teams on efforts related to this vertical as the domain expert and vertical owner. You will need to prioritize and delegate every day to maximize the impact of the team as you work very hard to meet aggressive goals. You will work with our growth teams on strategies to generate additional client demand and with our sourcing team to identify strategies that attract the right talent for our customers. You will also guide the development of future specializations within the vertical.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere.
You will motivate your team and inspire them through communicating the vision and goals of the organization and how it translates to their role. You will identify and solve problems and coach others to do the same. You will scale the team by balancing the constraints of client demands and operational efficiencies. You will work across the organization to ensure they have critical information to utilize the Developer Talent Pool. You will create vertical-related metrics and dashboards that give visibility into the entire vertical. You will need to make important decisions and move quickly.
In the first week you will:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Rapidly begin learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision.
- Familiarize yourself with the tools, processes, and reporting mechanisms that the Vertical uses on a daily basis.
In the first month you will:
- Familiarize yourself with key collaborators in the organization.
- Continue driving cross-team collaboration.
In the first three months you will:
- Manage and improve the way the Screening and Matching teams within the Vertical work by:
- Ensuring that conflicts (disputes) are resolved in a timely and effective manner.
- Ensuring that the Matching team is well trained on all the existing and new tools and processes used.
- Overseeing the work done by the Matching team involving large accounts.
In the first six months you will:
- Continue to scale the Developer Screening and Matching teams.
- Ensure there are solid Vertical-related metrics, dashboards, and transparent expenses.
- Work with other teams and make sure they have access to documentation and the Developer Talent Pool when needed.
In the first one year you will:
- Continue to scale your teams.
- Drive the team to continue to hit revenue goals, exceeding millions in ARR.
- Guide the vertical in the direction of tens of millions in ARR and beyond.
- Ownership. You take responsibility for the work you do.
- Quality. You take pride in everything you deliver as a reflection of yourself.
- Critical thinking. You must be able to think strategically to connect the dots between opportunities and available resources/capabilities across the Toptal organization.
- Integrity, at the highest level. You must be able to exercise good judgement on behalf of others.
- Highly resilient. You must have a growth mindset and be very comfortable giving and taking direct feedback and constructive criticism. You must be an exceptional performer in high-pressure situations.
- You must have a strong software development background.
- You must be an exceptional leader with previous experience leading large teams.
- You must have world-class organization skills.
- You must have tremendous emotional intelligence, including exceptional foresight and judgement.
- You must be highly detail-oriented and comfortable wearing many hats.
- You must have strong research and synthesis skills.
- You must be extremely resourceful and creative, capable of solving difficult, critical problems by leveraging the extensive resources of the Toptal organization.
- You must have strong operational skills and be capable of setting up systems to measure the impact of your work.
- Ability to communicate clearly and constantly with teams via Slack and other collaboration tools.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal.
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- As Toptal's VP of Talent Operations, Martin ensures that Toptal clients get the right talent quickly and that all engagements are successful. He draws on his experience as a long-time engineer and system administrator at organizations like HP Enterprise Services, IBM Global Services, and Toptal to lead teams of hundreds of Toptal's core domain experts in finding, screening, and matching top talent to clients, according to their needs. Martin studied Software Engineering at the Universidad Nacional de Córdoba.