Toptal is one of the most innovative and rapidly expanding tech start-ups from Silicon Valley. With backing from investors such as Andreessen Horowitz and Adam D’Angelo, our platform is the fastest growing labor marketplace in the history of the Internet—connecting thousands of elite engineers and designers all over the world. In the last five years, Toptal has become the #1 choice for tech companies requiring top-tier engineering and design talent and for the top 3% of freelancers looking for their next challenge.
While we’re primarily focused on bringing quality and value to our clients, we’re also committed to creating a world-class environment for our employees. We are a completely distributed company with thousands of core and network team members located all over the world, and we take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We take an all-hands-on-deck approach to our work, taking pride in being collaborative, creative, and flexible.
If you aren’t looking for a job because you’re already killing it, we want you.
As the Head of Growth Operations, you will be responsible for scaling Toptal’s Growth Team, setting priorities, and ensuring all growth systems are trending up over time. You will be growing the company’s revenue by working at the intersection of business, technology, data, and marketing. You will be directing all of the team’s interviewing, training, prioritization, and execution processes as the team grows and specializes, including guiding the development of all dashboards, analytics systems, and automated rules needed to ensure the health and growth of the company’s client funnel over time. You will work with Toptal’s Head of Growth to set Toptal’s long-term growth strategies and guide the company’s growth trajectory to new inflection points.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere.
- Work with the Growth Team, Head of Growth, and key stakeholders across the company to set and execute the strategy and roadmap for Toptal’s long-term growth.
- Guide the organization, prioritization, and focus of Growth Team members as the team scales.
- Determine the KPIs and build the dashboards that each functional area of the Growth Team needs to execute effectively in the context of the larger goals of the team.
- Create playbooks and training modules for the successful development of growth skills and initiatives across product, SEO, SEM, funnel optimization, digital marketing, etc.
- Guide the team in maximizing and maintaining the impact of all successful growth experiments via playbooks, automated systems, and dashboards.
- Build training modules and specialized onboarding processes for all new hires that ensure all new Growth Team members develop both the breadth and depth of expertise that they need to rapidly be successful on the team.
- Oversee the interviewing and hiring of new team members as the team scales.
- Position the team to support the needs of new verticals as Toptal continues to expand its service to new segments.
- Build revenue projections and align the team behind weekly and quarterly goals to meet those projections.
- Provide thought leadership, strategic insight, and clear communication (written and verbal) to the team on strategy.
- Be in constant communication with team members via Skype.
- You must have a strong, analytical background in a STEM field. A background in Chemical Engineering from a top university is preferred.
- You must be highly motivated by the prospect of scaling a hyper-growth company while leading a team of engineers, designers, and growth experts.
- You must be an extremely quick, strategic thinker with exceptional experience leading highly analytical teams.
- Extensive experience interviewing candidates for analytical positions and a keen eye for talent.
- Strong experience leading analytical teams at rapidly growing startups is required. Proven experience as an entrepreneur is preferred.
- Experience leading the growth of teams from several members to several dozen members.
- A strong ability to build highly effective training sequences for diverse skillsets.
- Experience guiding and executing functional specialization within teams, including setting and monitoring KPIs that both reflect clear division of responsibilities and the larger team goals.
- Demonstrated analytical rigor. You must know how to quantitatively analyze and optimize marketing programs and growth initiatives.
- A lean, data-driven, process and KPI-oriented mentality.
- You must have a strong bias towards driving your team towards action and the ability to foster a competitive, results-driven mentality. You must be extremely persistent by nature and unwilling to let your team lose or leave problems unsolved.
- You must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- Breanden has been an engineer, founder, CTO, and consultant in industries ranging from aerospace to financial services to high tech. He has a BSE in Chemical Engineering from Princeton University, where he was previously asked to speak at TEDxPrincetonU, giving a talk on time optimization and resource management. As a Toptal co-founder, Breanden frequently writes about scaling a hyper-growth and distributed company, and he has been featured on the blog of Tim Ferriss, The Huffington Post, and many others. Having been on both sides of the hiring equation as an engineer and team lead, Breanden combines his technical expertise and management experience to ensure that clients, developers, and team members at Toptal continually strive for excellence as the company rapidly scales.