Head of Growth Product Marketing
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As the Head of Growth Product Marketing, you will be responsible for scaling Toptal’s Growth Product Marketing Team, driving growth product strategy, setting priorities, expanding capability, growing a world-class growth product marketing team, while delivering on ambitious initiative and number-driven goals. You will grow the company’s $100M+ revenue base by working at the intersection of business, technology, big data, analytics and marketing. You will have executive accountability for all growth marketing-related products, including every aspect of Toptal’s main website. You will work with Toptal’s executive team to set Toptal’s long-term growth product marketing roadmap and guide the company’s growth trajectory to new inflection points by creating exciting growth product initiatives that drive results. This is a role that expects the leader to combine SEO, CRO, creative (design/copy/etc), engineering, and growth tactics into one, in order to create world-class growth marketing products; from landing pages to completely new websites.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Work with the Executive, Enterprise, SMB, Talent Operations, Marketing Strategy, and other key teams across the company to set and execute the roadmap for Toptal’s short- and long-term Growth Product Marketing plans.
- Guide the prioritization of Growth Product Marketing-related initiatives as the teams scale.
- Determine the KPIs and build the dashboards for each part of Growth Product Marketing, ensuring the team is able to execute effectively in the context of the success metrics for each aspect of Growth Product Marketing.
- Analytical ability to break down complex problems and efficiently use data and analytics layered against high-quality user research to inform the direction of the product
- Track progress, assess risks, coordinate delivery, and actively communicate contingency and mitigation plans for the team.
- Run various ad-hoc research and business analyses to assess opportunities and risks.
- Create effective training on growth-related topics such as SEO, SEM, funnel optimization, product marketing and other related areas in order to ensure all of the relevant stakeholders within marketing are properly educated on how to infuse growth tactics into their content, initiatives, and products with maximum impact.
- Ensure the team is maximizing the impact of all growth product experiments by maintaining organized playbooks, automated systems, and dashboards which track the states and thresholds related to each experiment.
- Oversee the interviewing and hiring of new team members as the team continues to scale.
- Facilitate effective brainstorming sessions which contribute to the generation of new ideas that push the boundaries of what’s possible within Growth Product Marketing.
- Work with Finance and Marketing Strategists to build financial forecasts and projections that relate to the cost and return on investment for initiatives and experiments, both large and small.
- Provide thought leadership, strategic insight, and clear communication (written and verbal) to your team and the organization on the company’s growth strategy.
- Be in constant communication with team members via Slack, Zoom and other means.
- Ability to creatively craft solutions through data and a customer-centric approach.
- Strong expertise in using data to synthesize information and make decisions.
In the first week, expect to:
- Work to get up to speed with how the organization runs, including how our OKRs, RACIs, and other operational frameworks work.
In the first month, expect to:
- Understand the inner workings of the Growth Product Marketing team and how they work effectively with other teams. You will also be expected to identify many opportunities that you see relating to furthering the growth product, organizational dynamics, and talent capabilities of the Growth Product Marketing team.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Have a very strong understanding of how the Marketing function and all related- external functions are working together with Growth Product Marketing.
- Charted a path for ensuring collaboration is strong and work output remains at an extremely high quality level for all Growth Product Marketing-related initiatives.
- Garnered the trust of your peers and the individuals that you’re most closely working with.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Exemplified the ability to inspire and mentor the teams you’re working with.
- Upleveled the team’s ability to brainstorm, collaborate, and execute materially.
- Introduced several growth products that are innovative, sustainable, and a direct result of your personal efforts.
- Chartered a clear path for scaling the team, as well as the work output that Growth Product Marketing is able to produce.
In the first year, expect to:
- Scaled the team and work output of Growth Product Marketing significantly.
- Demonstrated the successful implementation and execution of several new growth strategies and tactics.
- Garnered the trust of the Executive and Senior Leadership Team in your ability to lead the Growth Marketing function for the long-term.
- You must have the ability and willingness to review, with meticulous attention to detail, all of the final work product that your team creates.
- You must have more than seven years of experience working with growth, marketing, engineering, and product development teams.
- You must have more than two years of direct experience working as a product manager.
- You must have a best-in-class, analytical and data-driven background, ideally with a degree in a STEM field or something similar.
- You must be highly motivated by the prospect of scaling a hyper-growth company while leading a team of Engineers, Designers, Data Scientists, Product Managers, and Growth Marketing experts.
- You must be an extremely quick, strategic thinker with exceptional experience leading highly analytical teams.
- Extensive experience interviewing candidates for analytical positions and a keen eye for talent.
- Strong experience leading analytical teams at rapidly growing businesses is required. Proven experience as an entrepreneur is preferred.
- Experience leading and scaling cross functional, dynamic teams.
- A strong ability to build highly effective training sequences for diverse skill sets.
- Experience guiding and executing functional specialization within teams, including setting and monitoring KPIs that both reflect clear division of responsibilities and larger team goals.
- Demonstrated analytical rigor. You must know how to quantitatively analyze and optimize marketing programs and growth initiatives.
- A lean, data-driven, process and KPI-oriented mentality is critical.
- You must have a strong bias for action and the ability to foster a competitive, results-driven mentality in your team. You must be extremely persistent by nature and unwilling to let your team lose or leave problems unsolved.
- You must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
We’re looking for someone who will meticulously analyze and provide insightful feedback on all of the landing pages, keywords, and other types of work output related to Growth Marketing. We expect such reviews to be meaningful and to provide insightful feedback. All Executive and Senior Leadership Team members at Toptal are required to have full control and ownership over the work output relating to their functions, and there are no exceptions to this. If you’re not interested in reviewing and providing feedback on all of the work that Growth Marketing produces on at least a bi-weekly basis, do not apply.